Feathers on foot pads?

Dlm2plus

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
20230831_195646.jpg
20231017_134113.jpg
20231017_134113_edit_1697571474262-1.jpg
20231014_183444.jpg
this is my 26 week old brahma. She is a naturally occurring dwarf, about 4 lbs. So she thinks she is a bantam. She didn't feather until she was around 9 weeks so we weren't sure she'd make it. Now she has a new problem...she seems to be growing feathers on the bottom of her foot. Has anyone ever seen this? I'm trying to find a vet in my area that will see chickens if anyone knows one near newberry SC. Any ideas are welcome as I know this is painful for her.

My brain is normally pretty creative, but in this case, I can't think of any solutions that wouldn't be more painful than leaving the feathers alone. And to be sure, anything you would do to the bottom of a chicken's foot would be plenty painful.

I think consulting an avian vet would be the best idea. If that is not an option, leaving the feathers alone and providing her a well cushioned run and coop would be what I would suggest.

As Brahmans age, the foot feathers normally wear away, but meanwhile, check the feet often to be sure none of the follicles are have become inflamed.

My brain is normally pretty creative, but in this case, I can't think of any solutions that wouldn't be more painful than leaving the feathers alone. And to be sure, anything you would do to the bottom of a chicken's foot would be plenty painful.

I think consulting an avian vet would be the best idea. If that is not an option, leaving the feathers alone and providing her a well cushioned run and coop would be what I would suggest.

As Brahmans age, the foot feathers normally wear away, but meanwhile, check the feet often to be sure none of the follicles are have become inflamed.
Agreed.

View attachment 3661703View attachment 3661704View attachment 3661705View attachment 3661706this is my 26 week old brahma. She is a naturally occurring dwarf, about 4 lbs. So she thinks she is a bantam. She didn't feather until she was around 9 weeks so we weren't sure she'd make it. Now she has a new problem...she seems to be growing feathers on the bottom of her foot. Has anyone ever seen this? I'm trying to find a vet in my area that will see chickens if anyone knows one near newberry SC. Any ideas are welcome as I know this is painful for her.
I don't think I've ever seen feathers growing from the bottom of a chicken's foot before. Poor girl. 😞

I don't think I've ever seen feathers growing from the bottom of a chicken's foot before. Poor girl. 😞
I know, I'm heading to our state fair today and will be speaking to the poultry folks there as well. Meantime I'm soaking her foot in Epsom salt every few days, using antibiotic ointment for some relief. She seems to be eating ok but I've been giving her extra treats to be sure (meal worms, tuna and kale 😋) as wellas a few doses of nutri drench tobe sureher strength stays up. She had such a rough start and no one expected her to make it this far.

Hey... Just a thought, what about wrapping her feet to protect them?
I thought about it but even cleaning her foot with a cotton ball seemed to bother her. Her run is the fine size chips over sand so it's pretty soft and I added a piece of outdoor carpet to her roost to pad it too. I think at this point it's just keeping an eye on her to be sure it doesn't get infected.

Back
Top Bottom