feathers on hens...

kscottjoyce

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Townsend
Hello, and thank you for any info you can give. I have three hens and a rooster. The hens are developing a line across their backs where their feathers seem a bit worn down. Just wondering if this could be from the rooster doing his thing to fertilize the eggs or if it could be something else?

chickenlover<3 :

really how can you tell ???

Roo damage is typically across the low back of the hen.

To the OP - I would recommend you look into some hen saddles to protect your hens.​

Hmm, rough rooster... Would adding another hen at least make him more satisfied and not as rough with the hens? I do like having him around to protect the hens. Today a feral cat came to check out the hens and he chased it away. He is friendly, he comes up to me and makes a purring noise. Is it harmful to the hens at all?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, it can stress the hens out. Stress them out too much and they could stop laying or fall ill.

I have pens with only a hen and a rooster, or a few with trios. Generally, I use aprons (or saddles) on the hens. I also let the girls out of the pens some days, just to give them a break from the roosters.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom