feathers on hens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kscottjoyce, Mar 7, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Hello, and thank you for any info you can give. I have three hens and a rooster. The hens are developing a line across their backs where their feathers seem a bit worn down. Just wondering if this could be from the rooster doing his thing to fertilize the eggs or if it could be something else?

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    i would say the roo might be a little rough

3. chickenlover<3

chickenlover<3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    really how can you tell ???

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    chickenlover<3 :

really how can you tell ???

Roo damage is typically across the low back of the hen.

To the OP - I would recommend you look into some hen saddles to protect your hens.​

5. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Hmm, rough rooster... Would adding another hen at least make him more satisfied and not as rough with the hens? I do like having him around to protect the hens. Today a feral cat came to check out the hens and he chased it away. He is friendly, he comes up to me and makes a purring noise. Is it harmful to the hens at all?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    The reason that he's probably having a little too much fun is because the best way to go is a rooster per every 10 hens.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, it can stress the hens out. Stress them out too much and they could stop laying or fall ill.

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have had up to 20 hens with one rooster and his favorites still had their feathers worn off. You either want to keep a rooster or you don't.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have pens with only a hen and a rooster, or a few with trios. Generally, I use aprons (or saddles) on the hens. I also let the girls out of the pens some days, just to give them a break from the roosters.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by