Feathers won't grow back

windsweptzz

Chirping
Jan 29, 2023
Bonnieville, KY
Hi!
The roos are a bit aggressive but no other hen is missing so many feathers - their feathers grow back. My hen Sunshine seems unable to grow back feathers after the mating issues of losing feathers. I put the bluekote on and yet the skin seems just leathery and no feathers... on her back and top area of wings. It is strange, all the other girls seem to have missing feathers from mating but regrow theirs. I don't see any mites or anything - and she doesn't seem to peck her back or anything looking for something. She just looks naked on the back top. Any help would be so appreciated. I had a saddle on her in the winter - so she would not be cold.

It sounds like Sunshine is your roosters' favorite and they are overmating her.
If they keep mating with her, Sunshine will probably have to wait until after molt during the fall/winter to get back her feathers.
Can you separate your roosters away from the hens? Or, you go ahead and put the saddle on her. You can also feed her and your other hens Gamebird feed for one month. It's higher in protein and will help with feather regrowth. After one month, wean them off the gamebird feed back to regular layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom