Feathers won't grow back...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Echo5, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Echo5

Echo5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi there,

So I've had six chickens and 2 ducks for over a year now, out of the chickens one of them started the moulting process in the spring she seems to grow back some feathers and then loses them again. It's mostly all been around her neck and chest area. It's been about 6 months now and there is still no progress and she is almost raw looking around her neck... I'm getting worried because its getting colder out and in a couple months will be freezing. If its a disease/illness it's not contagious, none of the other chickens have it. She is completely healthy other wise. Please let me know of any experiences similar or ideas as to what it might be. Thanks!!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Have you checked them for lice and mites? A parasite infestation can cause feather loss. Is it possible that the other birds are pecking her? Not enough room can cause chickens to peck each other, as can not enough feeder/waterer space. What feed are you giving her? Most feeds should have enough protein, but it could be a reason.

3. Echo5

Echo5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks for your reply! No I haven't checked her, ill have to take a closer look. aren't mites and lice contagious though? I haven't seen any pecking going on, I've found out of all of them she is one of the ones that does the pecking lol they have plenty of room in their run area and get out a few times a week to forage. Layer mash is what they've been eating for feed as well as fresh greens as a snack here and there. Ill look at here tomorrow and post a picture if I don't find anything...

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I believe someone in the coop is feather picking. I have seen my own hens do it to their buddies on the roost at night. Give a little extra protein--maybe 20% or just give some tuna, scrambled eggs, or chopped up liver which will be nutritious as well as yummy to them. Boredom can cause picking as well. Watch them and you may find the pickers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by