1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newtothis2011, Aug 4, 2011.

1. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Is it common for chickent to lose feathers?? they dont seem to be being pecked or otherwise injured. I have 9 RIR that are about 10 weeks old...thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    As long as its just a few here or there and they are not showing bald spots then, yes, it is normal!

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    It is completely normal!! Unless of injury of course! And if they are balding it is probably because they are molting.

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    This was starting to worry me too. Been seeing more and more feathers on the ground. I picked up a handfull from their run this morning. All different colors so I know it's not just one chicken.
    My oldest are at 13/14 weeks so this should be a normal juvenile molt, yes?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chicks go through two different juvenile molts before they become adults. They simply grow too big for their feathers. Seeing a lot of feathers around is perfectly normal.

6. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Thank you so much for all the help [​IMG]

7. CPrendie

CPrendie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Had a similar concern. My cornish hens are getting HUGE fast! I picked one up tonight and her belly was just about bald. They are only about 4 weeks old. Are they getting too big too fast for their feathers, or is something else possibly going on? They are still in the brooder with the other chicks, but are more than double the size of the same aged chicks.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Cornish cross are designed to stack on the meat FAST so they can be processed at 6-8 weeks. Consequently their bodies don't put as much effort into feather development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by