feathers

newtothis2011

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Is it common for chickent to lose feathers?? they dont seem to be being pecked or otherwise injured. I have 9 RIR that are about 10 weeks old...thanks

It is completely normal!! Unless of injury of course! And if they are balding it is probably because they are molting.

This was starting to worry me too. Been seeing more and more feathers on the ground. I picked up a handfull from their run this morning. All different colors so I know it's not just one chicken.
My oldest are at 13/14 weeks so this should be a normal juvenile molt, yes?

Chicks go through two different juvenile molts before they become adults. They simply grow too big for their feathers. Seeing a lot of feathers around is perfectly normal.

Thank you so much for all the help
smile.png

Had a similar concern. My cornish hens are getting HUGE fast! I picked one up tonight and her belly was just about bald. They are only about 4 weeks old. Are they getting too big too fast for their feathers, or is something else possibly going on? They are still in the brooder with the other chicks, but are more than double the size of the same aged chicks.

Had a similar concern. My cornish hens are getting HUGE fast! I picked one up tonight and her belly was just about bald. They are only about 4 weeks old. Are they getting too big too fast for their feathers, or is something else possibly going on? They are still in the brooder with the other chicks, but are more than double the size of the same aged chicks.
Cornish cross are designed to stack on the meat FAST so they can be processed at 6-8 weeks. Consequently their bodies don't put as much effort into feather development.

Back
Top Bottom