Feathers!

EvilleGardener

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Hi all! My pulleys are three months old now, and I'm wondering about the little piles of feathers that are accumulating the past week or so. Is it normal for them to be losing feathers right now? The weather has been a little bit crazy here in the northeast this spring - a few days of cold then a stretch of 90's, back and forth. My flock of 7 girls are in a 8x9 foot run and free range 2-10 hours per day, depending on my work schedule. They seem pretty content. Here are pics of the corners where I'm finding feathers. This is about a week's worth
[/IMG][/IMG].

Yes, that's what you'll see called a "mini molt." I don't even know how many of them they have in that first year. They're odd little creatures in many was -- endlessly amusing, I find!

I have truly enjoyed this new venture. I think I may have read too much about what can go wrong, so I'm always waiting for the other shoe to fall! So far I've had great luck with the girls - my biggest worries were that one or more would die in transit, I'd kill the out of ignorance, or I'd end up with a bunch of roosters. So far, everything has been positive, but it's great I can come here to make sure. Thanks y'all. Here's a pic of a few of them relaxing in "their" chair.

Back
Top Bottom