FEB incubation experience -JULY update - BLK. ORP & EE *new pics*

so cute here is to wishing
fl.gif
you that your chick survives and her fluff fluffs right up good luck

I ended up with 3 chicks. I am happy to have these, but a little disappointed there weren't more. Since the eggs were due on Wednesday, I decided to turn the incubator off today. I candled the eggs and then decided to open them. I had 2 fully developed BBS Orpington chicks that never pipped. Their inner membrane was stuck to them. Obviously I didn't have enough humidity. I am not sure how to fix this.... My first two chicks hatched great. The humidity level stayed the same even after they hatched. But the third chick was stuck inside its shell totally dry. So, if you read my previous posts and links, you will see that I "rescued" it. It is doing wonderfully! I didn't open my incubator to take any chicks out. So, I don't understand what happened. Again, my humidity levels stayed the same, about 65-68%. Any ideas?

Sometimes it just happens....even if we think we've done everything right. It usually takes a few attempts before we all find out what works for us. Buster incubates his eggs at a much higher humidity level than I do because at his altitude (and I see you're in Colorado) that's what works for him..I on the other hand would drown all my chicks if I kept my humidity that high. We all just have to figure out what works for our locations.

This is why the BBS orps are so frustrating to establish your own flock. So many eggs and so few chicks. It is the risk I took to get my flock numbers up.

That chick looks very dark blue to me. You really won't be able to tell for sure until it starts feathering out and you get it outside in the sunshine.

If the feathers are dull it is very dark blue.

If the feathers are shiney and cast any green sheen they are black.

Black chicks from my flock are somewhat rare. I have only hatched 3 or 4 myself.

Quote:
Thank you! I love the BBS Orps, so I will probably continue to take the risk. Stunning is not a strong enough word to describe them. I will take what I learned from this experience and use it to try again. Thank you again!

Day 16 Temperature spike and moving chick in egg ! but I managed to bring the temo back down to 99.5
jumpy.gif

Should I be
jumpy.gif
or
barnie.gif
or
hide.gif

I cant wait !!!!!!!1

Here are a couple of new pictures of the chicks from my hatch! They are growing so quickly! Aren't they cuties! 2 are EE's and 1 is a BBS Orpington.

Hatching2009008.jpg

Hatching2009010.jpg

Hatching2009005.jpg

Hatching2009009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom