February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Help me out with my days math here... calendar stuff always defeats me. If I put the eggs in on Weds 2/1, is today Day 4? Or Day 5?
It's Day 4.
You don't count the day you put them in as "Day 1". That is Day 0. But as soon as you reach the exact same time the next day, it counts as Day 1. You see, it's not the 'day number' that matters, but how much time has passed - each 24-hour period counts as a "Day". On Feb. 1, the day you set the eggs, you haven't passed 24-hours yet, so it's Day 0. After 24 hours, at the exact same time next day on Feb. 2, you've reached the end of Day 1.

So.... from 2/1 to 2/2 is Day 1.
from 2/2 to 2/3 is Day 2.
from 2/3 to 2/4 is Day 3.
from 2/4 to 2/5 is Day 4.
and so on...
Make sense?

Does anyone remember Blockbuster video stores? That's part of why they went out of business! They counted the first day you rented the video as "day 1", and if you returned the video the next day, that was "day 2". You kept the video for 24 hours (or less!), but somehow they counted it as 2 days. And they ADVERTISED it as "2-day rental!" So.... people were renting videos on Friday night, returning them on Sunday morning (that's less than 48 hours - two days - right?). But NOooooo, according to Blockbuster, that was 3 days and you ended up paying for an extra day or late fees. Drove their customers insane.

Last edited:
Haha- I am currently saving the name "Daytwo" for a chicken name. (I say it fast.)This just solidifies it.
I like how it sounds, I was watching "Once upon a time in Hollywood." One character had that name, not that spelling. though. I thought it was funny.
I come up with weird names though...
Comfort- from a lady on you tube who told a man he might want to buy 2 airline seats for his "Comfort".
Splendor- because a comedian once said "I came home for college, and my little brother was living in splendor."
I once named my rooster Algonquin because I thought it was funny.
and
a hen named Chuckwalla.
Those are the funniest names I can think of.

Last edited:
Oh geez! Just ONE egg left to hatch and she's taking her sweet time. I left one chick in the incubator with her to encourage hatching. She pipped, I think, at about 7am this morning. So I know I can't get really worried until tomorrow morning. She's made no progress, but is still wiggling and cheeping and chomping her beak. I peeled a tiny bit of shell off, then moistened the visible membrane with coconut oil - and yep, sure enough, there are still active blood vessels. Not ready! I think this waiting is harder than when they started!

Oh geez! Just ONE egg left to hatch and she's taking her sweet time. I left one chick in the incubator with her to encourage hatching. She pipped, I think, at about 7am this morning. So I know I can't get really worried until tomorrow morning. She's made no progress, but is still wiggling and cheeping and chomping her beak. I peeled a tiny bit of shell off, then moistened the visible membrane with coconut oil - and yep, sure enough, there are still active blood vessels. Not ready! I think this waiting is harder than when they started!
I hear ya on that. It is soooo hard

1675638978312.gif

Back
Top Bottom