February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Sorry about your broody! Dumb bird. You'll want the temperature as close to 99.5-deg-F, and humidity 70%. If yours die in the last few days, I suspect humidity may be the problem?
the hen was laying down again and hasn't moved so i gave them back as i heard switching the eggs from broody hen to incubator isnt the brightest idea as the humidity level is different. If in any case they at least make it to pip stage ill put them in the incubator and keep an eye on them.
Another note, they are very large eggs and are only on day 19.

May I have some extra eyes and thoughts on our two “questionable” eggs? I’m assuming they both died during development but am holding out a teensy bit of hope this is the first one, incubated with the 11 others (all of which have movement when candled and are in lockdown now). I’ll post the second one in the next comment View attachment 3395743
I am a first timer incubating eggs so please don’t take my feedback as someone with any experience.

This is an egg at day 18? Is the mark for the air cell from the start? If the air cell has not had any growth that would be an indicator that things not going well from what I have read. It looks like there may be a faint line of the start of a blood ring as well? If on day 18 I would expect the egg to be mostly dark too.

Again I am only going by what I have read from this site so hopefully someone with more experience can help!

May I have some extra eyes and thoughts on our two “questionable” eggs? I’m assuming they both died during development but am holding out a teensy bit of hope this is the first one, incubated with the 11 others (all of which have movement when candled and are in lockdown now). I’ll post the second one in the next comment
Is there any way you could get photos when it's fully dark in the room? Or put a blanket or something over your head when you candle them? The ambient light is interfering with being able to see them clearly. I can't be sure, but in the first group of pics I *think* I see a blood ring, uh oh. How many days is this chick? If it's the same age as the one in your second group of pics, I'm afraid it could be a quitter. The second group of pics looks more promising. Can't see much, but that's how they look when they're close to lockdown or hatch. Can't see anything but the air cell.

Is there any way you could get photos when it's fully dark in the room? Or put a blanket or something over your head when you candle them? The ambient light is interfering with being able to see them clearly. I can't be sure, but in the first group of pics I *think* I see a blood ring, uh oh. How many days is this chick? If it's the same age as the one in your second group of pics, I'm afraid it could be a quitter. The second group of pics looks more promising. Can't see much, but that's how they look when they're close to lockdown or hatch. Can't see anything but the air cell.
I can do the blanket deal tomorrow for sure. The ambient light is coming from my computer screen from the livestream. I’ll bring my hand lamp deal tomorrow.

I thought I could see a very thin blood ring on the first one as well. It is at 19 days today and I’m pretty sure it’s a quitter. Thank you for confirming.

The second one (second post) is my true hopeful. But I’m still unsure.

I am a first timer incubating eggs so please don’t take my feedback as someone with any experience.

This is an egg at day 18? Is the mark for the air cell from the start? If the air cell has not had any growth that would be an indicator that things not going well from what I have read. It looks like there may be a faint line of the start of a blood ring as well? If on day 18 I would expect the egg to be mostly dark too.

Again I am only going by what I have read from this site so hopefully someone with more experience can help!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I just responded to the comment below yours and agree on the possible blood ring in the first egg. Thank you!!

ETA: sorry! Totally forgot to answer you on the rest. that pencil line is not the air cell from the start. It’s just since Thursday when we were candling them in class.

The air cell day 16, my hen's egg

23fa.PNG

The bottom right is the point the same egg. This egg is perfect for day 16 dark point.
23f.PNG

Below is one of the shipped eggs. It is not bad for day 16.
23fc.PNG

Below you can see some light in the point.
23fd.PNG

I think it will be ready day 18 but that is why you candle, not just to see if they are still alive day 18, candle to see if they are ready.

My broody hens I wanted to keep broody so I gave them these eggs today and marked them...One hen got 2, one got 3.
23fg.PNG

23fe.PNG

23ff.PNG

Woohoo!!!! I love Cochins. I have a few
We just got ours a week ago and they are a little mean. I don’t know if the lady I got them from handled them much but we are working on it. They were pulling the feathers out of our Pavlovskaya’s. We had to separate them but again, we are working on it all.

Back
Top Bottom