February 2023 hatch-a-long

The one that was zipping hatched. It was a hard hatch I think. She got stuck in the rubber band and she couldn't get her feet out of the eggshell. But she is fine now, currently resting in between two eggs. 🤣
I don't know what kind of incubator you are using, but I got a 3d printed divider off of etsy for my Nurture Right 360 and it has seriously cut down both my rates of splay-leg and kamikaze chicks knocking into all of the eggs.

Sounds interesting! Do you have a picture?
This is from the seller's etsy page because I don't have any that show it clearly. I also got the riser attachment so they have a lot more headroom. Seller is CourdtCreations. Screenshot_20230204_234302_Chrome.jpg

This is from the seller's etsy page because I don't have any that show it clearly. I also got the riser attachment so they have a lot more headroom. Seller is CourdtCreations.View attachment 3396088
I normally don't use this but I am hatching a few different breeds next mo so debating on it but then I need to band them and change out the bands as they grow..... Hmmmm

I normally don't use this but I am hatching a few different breeds next mo so debating on it but then I need to band them and change out the bands as they grow..... Hmmmm
I use the rubber chick bands for that, and then by four or five weeks they're big enough for their permanent bands to stay on.

Ok Day 13 candling and I'm one egg down. We now have 53 out of 55 eggs left. The remaining 53 look PERFECT & Healthy, But I have a strange egg that is not giving me good vibes and I'm worried I may lose it. I've never had or seen an egg like this. Maybe y'all can help me. I took this video when I candled it.​
I also included a couple of picture below. Now this IS alive. It's visibly moving and it is not from me moving the egg. But It's no where near developed like my other 52, it seems to be a black mass moving about no shape at all to it , has weird blotchy spots on part of it, the air cell is odd shaped, and it only has veining on one side and tit only takes up a small portion of the egg. Is it just slow to develope? Or Am I looking at my next quitter? Or do you think it possibly has a chance?
IMG_20230204_223336212.jpg
IMG_20230204_223313446.jpg

I started a batch in a brinsea mini adv I got on marketplace for $50 from my chickens on Feb 1.

5 California white hen with RIR roo eggs and
2 Welsummer hen with RIR roo eggs.

Candled them just now all are developing I'm pretty sure, one of the speckled eggs is very hard to see through but it's got a dark spot. The white eggs and lighter speckled egg are all developing clearly.

Go Red you did it! Fertilizing all the hens!

Ok Day 13 candling and I'm one egg down. We now have 53 out of 55 eggs left. The remaining 53 look PERFECT & Healthy, But I have a strange egg that is not giving me good vibes and I'm worried I may lose it. I've never had or seen an egg like this. Maybe y'all can help me. I took this video when I candled it.​
I also included a couple of picture below. Now this IS alive. It's visibly moving and it is not from me moving the egg. But It's no where near developed like my other 52, it seems to be a black mass moving about no shape at all to it , has weird blotchy spots on part of it, the air cell is odd shaped, and it only has veining on one side and tit only takes up a small portion of the egg. Is it just slow to develope? Or Am I looking at my next quitter? Or do you think it possibly has a chance? View attachment 3396143
Unfortunately it looks like a quitter to me, by day 14 it should be filling much more of the egg. I'd toss it.

Oh wow. I have raised all mine from chicks they haven't really been mean but all my chickens take turns pecking each other. But no true bullying. I have a blue Cochin Roo. And a splash project Cochin (a mix of EE and Cochin bred to look like a Cochin but is from a green egg) so far no issues with either.
Well since I’m hatching 5 of the eggs…that’s all I have gotten from the 2 girls since getting them, I’m hoping to have them more friendly. And really the Pavlovskaya hens aren’t bigger than the Cochins. The Pavlovskaya rooster is bigger than the Cochin rooster. I don’t know if them being bantam has anything to do with their behavior but everything I read about them before even getting them was that they were really nice birds.

I have a Mottled hen, a black hen, and I’m honestly not sure what the boy is, I’m assuming another black and the gold is just because he is a boy. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I’m still learning. This is a picture the lady I got them from sent me. I don’t have a very good picture of them myself yet.

Attachments

• 9D1E2394-5BA9-4133-8389-8937879D6746.jpeg
    9D1E2394-5BA9-4133-8389-8937879D6746.jpeg
    707 KB · Views: 2
Well since I’m hatching 5 of the eggs…that’s all I have gotten from the 2 girls since getting them, I’m hoping to have them more friendly. And really the Pavlovskaya hens aren’t bigger than the Cochins. The Pavlovskaya rooster is bigger than the Cochin rooster. I don’t know if them being bantam has anything to do with their behavior but everything I read about them before even getting them was that they were really nice birds.

I have a Mottled hen, a black hen, and I’m honestly not sure what the boy is, I’m assuming another black and the gold is just because he is a boy. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I’m still learning. This is a picture the lady I got them from sent me. I don’t have a very good picture of them myself yet.
Oh they are pretty. I am going to guess maybe not handled much or at all. Mine don't come up to me to be pet or anything but not mean. Yours may still be trying to figure out pecking order too?

Back
Top Bottom