February Hatch-A-Long

Pics

paintedChix

Crowing
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
NC
Well, since no one else seemed to make one, I decided to. I'm not sure I'm really the "right" person to do so, since so far, I seem to be doing so many things the "wrong" way.

But my new incubator arrived and I've set 36 eggs for a February 11 expected hatch date.

So why do I think I might be doing things so wrong? WELP. First, it turns out I purchased a still air instead of the forced air, incubator I was wanting (how DID i miss that?). Then second, it has a wafer thermostat, which I've been told since I purchased it, are the most unreliable ones.... Hmmm... Third, it didn't even have any way to measure for humidity - "no worries", I've been told - just order hygrometer and put it in there. (I have - though not one of the ones I was recommended to, yet). And fourth - I didn't candle or weigh the eggs when I started.

You may be asking why I didn't candle or weigh the eggs - well - a couple of reasons. 1 - I didn't have a candler when I got the incubator and when I appeared to have gotten the temps stable, I went ahead and put in the egg turner and the eggs. 2 - I didn't weight them either as my scale is large enough to weigh mature birds and rabbits but doesn't go quite small enough to measure a single egg. SO. I've sweated and I was worried. I did get a separate thermometer and a hygrometer - the kinds meant for reptile cages, but they appear, for now to be working. 3 - I had the collected the first eggs a week earlier and decided it was either just go ahead and start incubating or scrap them, wait till this cold spell clears out and collect new ones. I decided to just start.

It either works or it doesn't. Speaking with two breeders whom I've gotten chicks from - 1 started the exact same way I did and is now using cabinet incubators and selling almost commercially - a lot of birds. So I relaxed after discussing things with him. Then, speaking with the 2nd breeder - she also started with minimal input - also now using a cabinet incubator and should be getting a separate, larger hatcher. In fact - her comment was "why would you want to take a chance on dropping or otherwise "injuring" your eggs by candling throughout the incubation process? I've had lots of luck, no real issues (except one when we had a power spike during a storm and my eggs all actually exploded in the incubator - that was nasty!!)..." - again, I took a deep breath and decided this first time - that's just what I'll do - leave them alone. I'll get what I get. These are first time pullet eggs - all the birds literally JUST started laying in December, so...

According to the thermometers, the temps are holding nicely at just under 100*. The humidity is probably higher than I should have had it (around 47%) - he said I probably should have started with 0 water in my incubator and then put water in for the actual hatch during lockdown. O, well. After checking the humidity again this afternoon, I may drain water out of that first tray (not sure how, though w/o a major temp drop...).

I got the Hovabator 1602n and have the egg turner in it. I did find an electronic thermostat and a fan that will fit in this and will upgrade it when this hatch is over and before doing the next one. Already thinking seriously about getting another incubator and could see easily running more than that (OMG - is there something wrong with me? I already have LOTS of chickens - do I REALLY need that many more?).

20190121_224747.jpg 20190121_224812.jpg

** edited to add** - OOPS, was going to add tags. I don't think I've ever started my own thread before... I don't see how to add tags after the thread is set up.

will be setting 60 quail eggs tomorrow for valentine’s hatch....so glad that you decided to start a new hatch thread!! I’ve had great success with hatching so far but unfortunately my survival rate with quail desperately needs improvement! I removed 1 of my issues yesterday by culling my handicapped silkie that was injuring the babies in the brooder, but I still lost another baby last night. that leaves me at 10 survivors of 18 hatched.

Twice last summer I had a Japanese quail hen hatch ten chicks. I fed them a mixture of boiled egg, dried meal worms, and mash. All twenty chicks grew to maturity. Some people doubt that I had a quail actually brood and raise chicks. The hen hatched the chicks in an outside pen. I brought the family into the house to keep them safe.
quail family.jpg

Had 7 shipped eggs from down south, all developed, went through several hours of power outage where our temps were -28*F (house temp dropped to 45) for half a day, but still had peepers this morning. 6 out and fluffing up, one egg shows no pip (candled developed but no movement seen following the power outage). Not too shabby at all, given the struggles. :)

Got a mixed bag of breeds in the other incubator due to pip in a couple days. Hope I get some good numbers there, too! Eggs in there include some Ayam cemani, birchen and black copper marans, silver compine, olive egger, and others.

Attachments

• 20190205_184717.jpg
    20190205_184717.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I ended up with 6 of 7 from one shipment and 9 from another shipment of the 11 locked down (this group was 27 eggs, but PO managed to rattle them hard enough to break the ends of 9 eggs in transit, dispite foam shippers and nice packing. Of the 18, 11 showed development and 9 hatched (unfortunately 2 of the non-hatchers were Ayam Cemani, but I got one!) Chicks all look great. Since I just wanted a mixed bag for my flock, I'm pretty happy, got a nice sampling of breeds for my flock. Both legbars are males, unfortunately, but hey, maybe I'll let them rule the flock.

Here are a few of the peepsters...

001 20190210 Ayam Cemani 01 (3).jpg 002 20190210 Blue Copper Marans 01 (2).jpg 005 20190210 Legbar 01 Male (3).jpg 007 20190210 Swedish Flower Hen 01 (2).jpg 008 20190211 Barbezieux 01 (3).jpg 009 20190211 Silver Campine 01 (3).jpg

Back
Top Bottom