Fecal Float Questions

I've had a microscope for a while but it needs repairing so I have to ship it to the mfg. co.
When I get it back, I plan on analyzing the efficacy of herbal wormers.
That would be great!!
Bet you'd do a bang up job at it.
Have you done fecals all along your long chicken keeping history?

That would be great!!
Bet you'd do a bang up job at it.
Have you done fecals all along your long chicken keeping history?
No but a close friend (my coop faery) has been doing fecals for close to 30 years and has walked me through preparing floats and she will work with me again when I resume.

I have used a Molly's Herbals blend several times but I really want to get a baseline on what's in there and see the results. She actually has a 2 stage approach. Formula #1 is a 3 day treatment, repeated every 6-8 weeks. Formula #2 is a weekly treatment for between #1 treatments.

Last edited:
Verm-x isn't really a wormer, just herbs and spices, might help prevent,
but without fecals before and after it's just wishing in one hand.
View attachment 2281628

@Chicalina ....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I did say I use it as a preventative and have found it effective. Good gut health creates a bad environment for them, so I've read. I've only had to use drugs once, though if I had a sick chicken and didn't know the reason for the sickness, then I'd worm straight away as a precaution as that is an obvious potential cause of illness.

I'm in the SE of the UK. Pretty wet here all year round, and gets down to about -5°C in winter, is up to 35°C in summer right now, though that is unusually hot for us here. Does that make a difference with worms? Also claggy clay soil.

Thanks for the info, I will update my profile.

Cecal worm pictures!

From a Guinea necropsy. The cause of death was cancer, not worms.
DSCN4330.JPG
DSCN4333.JPG
DSCN4334.JPG
DSCN4336.JPG

Rooster poop
cecal_2.jpg

hen necropsy (2012) Cause of death was probably blackhead
015.JPG
013.JPG

016.JPG

Cecal worm pictures!

From a Guinea necropsy. The cause of death was cancer, not worms.

Rooster poop
View attachment 2282005

hen necropsy (2012) Cause of death was probably blackhead
Thanks for the pictures. I was going to cook some prime rib today but now I may just eat a baked sweet potato. .:sick

Back
Top Bottom