Fecal Float Questions

Pics
That's very interesting. I have noticed a high resistance to dewormers here by BYCers, rather than by the worms, lol. I don’t understand the reticence to use medication when necessary. Here in the UK, we don't try and identify which worm it is, we just treat with a dewormer because it kills all the worms. I buy over the counter, but if that didn't work after a couple of treatments, then I'd consult my vet.

I've never floated faeces!!!

Luckily I have never had a worm problem that persisted beyond normal meds. I also use Vermex as a preventative and it does fine.

Best of luck to you. I do like a bit of science myself!
Hat's off to JD! That kind of approach to your flock is the kind that keeps a larger bird rancher in business longer than the one that pays for blanket flock treatments. Extensive sanitization....whew...don't want to go there.

Just out of curiosity...
Chicken keepers here where I live will tell you most chickens carry some worms.
Problems arise when the worm load is at a certain level. Before this the chickens are healthy and the worm load is kept manageable through normal eating. These are free range chickens so this makes a difference. Before we (humans) started testing for worms and trying to eliminate them chickens seemed to have survived; I assume with some worms.
Again, chicken keepers here will tell you that free range chickens eat things that 'discourage' excessive worm loads. Nobody is quite sure what it is they eat that does this.
So, what is the critical worm load for a chicken for each particular worm?
To keep it topical, it seems to be a bit like Covid; lots may carry it while few are sick.

Back
Top Bottom