Fed up with water founts

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
I bought a waterer like this
5GallonPlasticFount.jpg
when I got my birds a few months ago. Straight poop, it’s about the most annoying thing I’ve ever worked with. If you don’t get the seal EXACTLY right, it leaks. Not right when you’re there, but hours later when you come back and the floor is covered with water. The slow air leak allows the water to move out and eventually overflow. If you listen very carefully, sometimes you can hear the air hissing in. Most times not. I’ve about had enough.

Are the metal ones any better?

I just got a basic metal 3-gal waterer from Agway the other day. It's the double layer one, that you pull off the top and it still looks like a metal bucket with a handle. It's got a rubber seal on the inside that only opens when the top part is all the way on. So far I love it, it lasts my 33 chickens two days and elevated 4" off the ground, plus with a slippery sloped top, doesn't get as dirty as the last couple I've had. I'll try to find a pic to post for you. I spend about $25 on it.

I have complaints about that water too. I only use when absolutely needed. I would like to find a water where you would not need to change the water...you know, one where there is always a fresh supply and where nothing like shavings, feathers, poop can get into it.

But as for now I am out scrubbing waterers every day.

I like dishpans I get at the Dollar Tree, refrigerator crispers, about anything that will hold water. And I keep them outside so they don't get the inside bedding wet. They also don't get filled with bedding from the girls scratching in the coop. Lots of folks use the metal waterers, but I don't like to because the metal can react if you need to add vinegar or some medications to the water. Nope, I like the pans best.
tongue.png

I have 2 of them. You get used to the feel of threading it correctly after a while. I have mine sitting on top of 2 flat patio stones, this keeps the shavings out. Most of my guys are bantams and they don't have a problem with the height. If you put a cone on top, and can keep it on top, you can keep your perchers from pooping into it. I have a piece of plastic cut on one and the top of a soda bottle on the other. Overall, I like this for the coop.

I have restaurant tins around the yard for all of the animals.

I used to have that type of waterer and had problems also with it not sealing and slowly leaking...
So I would get the top on tight and just fill it daily with garden hose thru the tiny hole.. tricky but it could be done.. then weekly take apart to clean and seal it back up...
I prefer the plastic waterer that comes apart and you turn over to fill and put tray back on and flip over... takes a bit of skill but I really like them and they clean up easily...
Most of the metal ones eventually leaked on me.....

I put one of the small hard plastic kiddy pools in the run for my chickens with rocks in the pool and around the outside and caught some mosquito fish out of the pond and added them to the water to eat any mosquito larvae, works pretty well, and to my surprise stays pretty clean since I added the fish. My hens like to soak their feet in it

Last edited:
Nothing better than rubber hog dishes after the temp. drops below freezing, except for heated dog watering bowls in the coops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom