Fee in or out of the coop?

GI chickens

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Do I keep the food and water inside the coop? or do I just let them eat and drink during the day only. I live in an area where predators are a factor and I must lock my chickens inside the coop at night. Right now they are chicks and only come out for a few hours each day due to the cold weather, but when they grow up where do I put the food and water in the enclosure or keep it in the coop? Do they need food and water at night???

I keep food in the coop so that it is out of the weather and away from passing unwanted birds. I keep water outside so that there is no mess in the coop. I don't know that chickens eat or drink at night, but this works here.

Chris

i have the same question...finding that I'm quickly running outta room inside coop for 10 chickens! i made a pvc gravity fed feeder which i hope works cause it doesn't take much space but with 3 nesting boxes, feeder, and trying to figure where to place pole to roost so they don't dirty food or boxes i have nowhere for water inside coop! is it really necessary?

I was wondering the same thing. This is my first time raising chicks/chickens. I have six 8 week old pullets out in the coop. I took the feeder and water out of the hen house and it's in the attached run. It keeps my hen house very clean and I Love it. We also have lots of predators so they do need to be locked up at night. Do I need to offer them food & water at night? I thought they should be sleeping at night in the hen house?? My girls are 8 weeks old and it seems to be working out just fine, they are growing by the day :) The 3 day old and week old chicks in the brooder have access 24 hours to feed and water.

Thanks
D.gif

Once the chickens are out of the brooder they will roost all night. Providing the light (if you have electricity to the coop) is not so bright as to allow the chickens to mill around at night. I keep the feed and water in the coop. It can also be placed in the run but, preferably not outside. Birds, squirrels and rodents will have a field day eating your costly food. The biggest reason I keep it in the coop is so that if I do not let them out at first light, they can come down and eat and drink instead of waiting for me to let them out. If I decide to sleep in, they don't suffer. Surprisingly, chickens don't need access to water all day in the winter. I go out and knock the ice out of the buckets in the morning, and early afternoon allowing them water just twice a day. They do wonderfully. But, in the heat of summer it is imperative that they have access to cool water at all times.

just an idea for you. I only have 4 "rescue' ladies but a similar "where to put what" in my little coop. First, my girls don't go outside much yet, mostly because of being 1 1.2 yrs old but never before ever been outside (but they are getting braver every day
smile.png
) One thing we did was to put the roost on top of the nesting boxes. We built small sides all the way around the top and fill it in with wood chips (makes it easy to clean out with a cat box scoop) and and built the roost over the top. My girls are happy campers
cool.png
Still trying to work out the watering thing tho. Too cold up here to leave the water outside and putting the food outside is just asking for trouble in our wild woods!

I keep food in the coop so that it is out of the weather and away from passing unwanted birds. I keep water outside so that there is no mess in the coop. I don't know that chickens eat or drink at night, but this works here.

Chris

goodpost.gif
I don't think chickens drink while they are sleeping, either. I do the same thing - I don't really want my feed outside where mice and get it and where snow and rain will get on it. But the water seems to do best outside, no shavings to scoop out every morning! I had my fair share of that with the chicks.

We don't have food or water in the coop right now and the kids have been doing great - they eat like hogs all day and go to bed with softballs for crops. But we take the water and food in every night. We are building a bigger coop, and plan on keeping the food inside just so we don't have to take it in every night. The water will still be outside the coop.

So I guess the consensus is, the chickens don't need it, but it shouldn't be left out.

I Do keep Food and water in my coop as on occasion my life makes it impossible to run out as early as I would like to let them out in the mornings. I am sure they would survive but I would feel guilty if I couldn't get out really early to let them out . I also hope that it makes my Broody hens know Food and water are close by to encourage them to sit more often . But that's probably all in my silly head . But still I do .. I Keep water all around clean and available .. I am probably a fanatic about it .. Waterers every where .. And I probably over feed .. I just have ducks and dogs and goats free running .. And want to make sure they have fresh water . In my head I believe it keeps them healthier . I also had 7 kids so I probably am just geared to think some one is always hungry or thirsty ; )

Back
Top Bottom