feed add ons

Thefosterfivefarm

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hello everyone,
As feed prices go up and up, I've been researching DIY chicken feed. I don't have the time to grow my own feed or make it from scratch but I was thinking, there's gotta be something I can add to it, to stretch it out. For example, I get my goats a good feeding grain and mix in alphalpha pellets and sunflower seeds. Yes, I have to buy more things but a 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds can last me all year if not longer, so I don't have to buy all three things every time I refill. I hope this is making sense. So, I was thinking I could add some sunflower seeds to the chicken feed as well but my chickens don't really seem to like them. Perhaps there is something else out there though that I can try so I don't have to buy quite so much feed all the time. Ive read corn, and oats, and wheat but I wanted your guys' opinion and maybe what you guys feed
Thanks in advanced

Can you let the wander around for a part of the day? Try a fodder system for fresh sprouts? No waste feeders? Other wise, adding stuff to their feed isn't a great idea, especially the Sunflower seeds, those are too high in fat.

Can you let the wander around for a part of the day? Try a fodder system for fresh sprouts? No waste feeders? Other wise, adding stuff to their feed isn't a great idea, especially the Sunflower seeds, those are too high in fat.
yes they free range all day in the summer months. We just got a grandpa feeder because the rats were stealing a lot of their food but with 10 chickens they just never stop eating. thanks for the sunflower tip I did not know that

I wouldn’t add su flower seeds, corn or oats to the feed. It’s high in fat and low in nutritional value.
What you can do is soak or ferment your feed, and provide forage. Forage can be anything from grass clippings, leaves, weeds, to alfalfa hay. Alfalfa is high in protein and good for chickens.
Do your research on fermenting, it really doesn’t save money. You’re using the same amount of food. And if you mess up, you will cost yourself because you have to throw the feed out.

Do your research on fermenting, it really doesn’t save money. You’re using the same amount of food. And if you mess up, you will cost yourself because you have to throw the feed out.
I would agree with this, I tried fermenting and it ended up be more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with BUT some people have great luck.

I do soak food for the afternoon and it seems to fill them up and gives them some extra water especially during the winter months.

I agree with foraging and even growing some fodder for the winter months-if you have a nice sunny south facing window that should work

Hello everyone,
As feed prices go up and up, I've been researching DIY chicken feed. I don't have the time to grow my own feed or make it from scratch but I was thinking, there's gotta be something I can add to it, to stretch it out. For example, I get my goats a good feeding grain and mix in alphalpha pellets and sunflower seeds. Yes, I have to buy more things but a 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds can last me all year if not longer, so I don't have to buy all three things every time I refill. I hope this is making sense. So, I was thinking I could add some sunflower seeds to the chicken feed as well but my chickens don't really seem to like them. Perhaps there is something else out there though that I can try so I don't have to buy quite so much feed all the time. Ive read corn, and oats, and wheat but I wanted your guys' opinion and maybe what you guys feed
Thanks in advanced
Oats are healthy, you might not want to add corn though. Corn has a small amount of nutritional value but can be very fattening to chickens. Sorghum grain (otherwise known as milo) is a better alternative to corn for chickens. Sunflower seeds should be limited to more as a treat as they have a high fat content. I'm currently trying to figure out a parcially diy yet still commercial feed for quail, and I've found that buying a bag of seeds/grains that are specifically and nutritionally made for quail is cheaper. I'd reccomend looking for something like that then getting several different grains and seeds, which is actually more costly

Back
Top Bottom