feed all over the coop floor, how to solve

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I am ditch composting my chicken litter. When I sifted through the pile today I noticed a ton of seedlings. I inspected the coop floor and found a ton of feed spilled all over. My questions- Is this a problem for the compost or will the heat kill the seedlings? - How can I prevent the feed froim spilling?

It might depend on what kind of feeder you have. If it's like mine, a metal bucket that has a space at the bottom that gravity feeds into a bottom tray (does that make sense)
I had to raise it up onto a cinder block. When it sat on the floor the hens would sort of scoop it out onto the floor, but when I raised it up they couldn't get the right angle to scoop it out. I also put a 2x4 on the floor as a barrier between the food area and the general coop area to keep any food that did get spilled from being kicked out onto the main floor area. Some pine bedding does make it over the 2x4 but the seeds and pellets stay in the food zone.
I hope I've explained it okay.

I suspect the seedlings won't be a problem either the heat will kill them or you will up root them when turning or distributing the compost. I hang my feeders at about "shoulder" height of my shortest birds and they make less of a mess.

Back
Top Bottom