Feed amounts

ron17571

Hatching
Jan 18, 2023
I'm curious if larger breeds like an Orpington eat much more than a breed like Rocks. I remember reading about how Leghorns were really good at converting low-feed use into eggs. I did have good luck with using them for eggs but want more of a dual-purpose flock. I am considering what to get in the future, Bielefelders look really nice but I wonder about feeding them.

For planning purposes start with a quarter pound of feed per day per laying hen, ignore roosters unless there are a large percentage of the flock.

I usually free feed, meaning they always have access to their staple food. It's, in my opinion, the best solution for most breeds and most situations. Feeding kitchen scraps will also mean consuming less of their staple feed during the day. Another thing you can try is free ranging, but only if your property is secure enough. As for feed amount consumed by a single chicken per day, it really depends on the chicken

I just put a big bowl and a smaller one too of food out for each flock. Today the Bachelors get broccoli as well.

But in general, the larger the bird, the more they will eat to answer the original question.

Back
Top Bottom