Feed and

Turkey Taj Mahal

Chirping
Nov 19, 2023
Hello, I’m new to both this site and raising birds. I have 5 heritage turkeys that unfortunately came with Coccidiosis. I have been fighting this for awhile now. They are now at the age where they shouldn’t even get it, but try as I might, getting rid of it has been an uphill battle. I got the birds anywhere from 4-8 weeks old (misc. hatchings) and they are now quickly approaching being out of the Poult stage. This is the second time around for Corid, two weeks and a half weeks between dowsings. I‘m thinking that one or two of the birds must have had it badly and when the Corid time was up he must have still needed more. I started the Corid 5 days ago, but without thinking about it, I was giving them a feed that had Probiotics and essential oils in it. I read up on combining the two and the common consensus was that one will cancel the other out. I have done in-depth study on turkeys and have never run across an answer to my question.

My question is…. Do I give them another week on Corid? I changed their food over to a standard local turkey poult feed today. From what I can tell at least two of the birds still have the bubbly glob diarrhea with some that is runny. I’m not sure where to go from here. My husband says that we can replace them for way less than paying a vet. These birds are not for meat, we are going to be using them for insect and vermin control on our property and unfortunately, they are starting to become pets.

I’m hoping someone can help me.

Welcome to BYC and sorry your turkeys are sick. You could try a different medication, like toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic. You could also try giving them a direct dose of Corid. Do you have the liquid or the powder?

Some coccidia are resistant to amprolium (Corid), so if I were in your shoes, I would get toltrazuril (Baycox). Let me know if that's what you wants to do and I will point you to a link.

Welcome to BYC and sorry your turkeys are sick. You could try a different medication, like toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic. You could also try giving them a direct dose of Corid. Do you have the liquid or the powder?

Some coccidia are resistant to amprolium (Corid), so if I were in your shoes, I would get toltrazuril (Baycox). Let me know if that's what you wants to do and I will point you to a link.
I have the liquid Corid. But without dragging them to a vet, I don’t know how to go about an antibiotic

Back
Top Bottom