Feed availability

afmorneault

Hatching
Dec 6, 2020
I am going to be starting my flock in the spring. Planning on an organic chick starter than mixing my own feed of seeds and grains. I am confused on the feeding. Do you give them access to feed all day long or have a morning and evening feed time?

I am going to be starting my flock in the spring. Planning on an organic chick starter than mixing my own feed of seeds and grains. I am confused on the feeding. Do you give them access to feed all day long or have a morning and evening feed time?
members.jpg

It’s best to have access to feed at all times. Be careful if you’re giving them your own mix of seeds/grains, they may decide to be picky and not get their full nutritional needs. It’s easier to ensure they’re getting everything they need with a commercial feed. Whole grains and seeds would be better as a treat. And once they’re eating anything other than chick feed make sure they have access to appropriately sized grit.

Wonderful advice so far. Feed a commercial balanced ration supplemented with scraps or the occasional treat. But make it available 24/7, chickens are grazing animals, spend all day looking for food in the wild, and need the constant small amounts of food so their gizzard can grind it up to make the nutrients available.

In cold weather it is doubly important as they generate heat as they digest food at night and during the day. You want them going to roost with a full crop.

Limiting feed restricts growth rate and the number of eggs you get per day. A hen pretty much has to eat a 18% protein diet with all the right minerals and vitamins to lay one egg per day on a continual basis.

Back
Top Bottom