Feed change causing water poops?

IndigoAngel

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Extreme NE Indiana
Morning, all! (or afternoon, or evening)! I have a quick question; i have been all over the forums and articles but I cannot seem to word my search correctly, or this particular issue has not been addressed before. I apologize if this is something I should have been able to have answered via other threads.

I am having a problem with one of my hens having water poops. She is otherwise (as far as I can tell) completely healthy, although she has slowed her laying since this began, which could simply be the shortening of the daylight hours. (Yes, I have checked her for being bound and see no evidence other than watery poo) I have recently added chicks to my flock and when they joined the big girls I had to change from layer feed to all flock, for obvious reasons. Ever since the switch, my oldest girl (somewhere around 3.5-4 yo) has had the water bomb problems. I am a bit concerned that the protein in the all flock is too high for her and is having an adverse effect on her kidneys. How can I address this for my Blondie girl without putting the younger ones (now 11 weeks) at risk of calcium overload?

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions.

I am not inclined to think that it is the protein (admittedly not an expert) but you could try a lower % all flock or starter and see if it helps. Also try posting in the emergency/disease section - the really smart posters frequent there.

We have a hen who is pooping water. She also laid an egg this morning so thats all working properly.

I dont know whats going on. Came to search for an answer as well. She was born 2.22.22. Shes a prairie bluebell or easter egger. Shes the runt and got picked on so we out her in a coop w a one eyed spitzhauben and a younger pullet. She got some feed that had mouse poop in it. Im wondering if that made her sick.

Back
Top Bottom