Feed companies response to the “big question”.

Well, if Jaybird is out, I guess I'll give what I found about PP, since others seem interested. It wasn't much - which is partly why I didn't just give it.

I tried several key words in a couple of search engines but got a lot of repeat pages (not just same wording carried by different web addresses but the same web addresses too for many pages of results)

This is the only one I found...

".. So we reached out to the company today because, again, we're agnostic on this, but we figured we would do a little poking. And they said they've looked into it too, and their feed is not the problem. And that may absolutely be true. We don't know. What we did notice, though, was that that explanation was more than enough for most media companies, trained as they are to accept corporate press releases as the final word on any given topic. Well, they said it's not a problem. So it's not a problem.

We don't think that's the last word. Again, we can't tell you for certain either way. But we do know and here's really the point, that America's food supply is one of those topics is worth being a little paranoid about. .. " Source
The media has probably been told to keep it at a low level. Cause the media are the ones that can start mass hysteria with a couple poorly worded reports.

I’ve been feeding Purina Layena for years. I’ve never really had a problem with it and I’m not entirely certain that it is a problem now. However, after discussing this issue with the very knowledgeable and friendly gentleman who runs the local feed store, (who said that “he would hate to think that there was anything nefarious going on“), I was convinced to try Nutrena. He is a pretty good salesman:). But seriously, he made some good points about the differences.

Because my young ISA Browns have been molting heavily, he suggested the “Feather Fixer”.
He swears by Nutrina, which he told me is owned by Cargill and said that I would even notice a difference in the smell of the feed. And I do. This stuff really smells great compared to the Purina product.

I still have almost 100 lbs. of the Layena but I am going to switch to the Nutrena as soon as the feeder is empty.
If after a few weeks my two year old Serama starts laying regularly again, (she hasn’t laid in over two months), and the molting stops with the younger girls, I will switch back to the Purina and monitor the results.

Because I am a “conspiracy realist“, I always try to confirm any information I’m given by first hand experience whenever possible.

View attachment 3392756
If you research it thoroughly, you will find that Cargill, who owns Nutrena also owns Purina. I was on Nutrena for three weeks and my five birds went from giving me 5 eggs per day to only 2 or 3. But we also had a bit of a cold snap and integrated 10 more birds. So, was it the food? I don't know for sure. I now have them on a feed that is not related to Dumor, Nutrena or Purina. But I don't know for sure. My layers just started laying in Oct 2022, but have consistently layed 5 each day. I don't have alot of experience.

I just bought 10 new hens and after 2 weeks of keeping them separated by hardware fabric, I have integrated them. My hens (original) were raised from their first day on Earth with each other. The other 10 came from a private seller and I don't know much about them. They integrated well but after just a few days, I noticed 2 with foamy eyes. I segregated them and started treating them with Tylan 200, Vet RX and Terramicyn Opthalmic ointment. They started to improve and then I found another with the same foamy eye. She is with them and she is getting the same treatment, but she doesn't seem to be improving as much. She is holding her eyes shut most of the time and seems lathargic. Anyone have any ideas on what this is and how I may help her?

If you research it thoroughly, you will find that Cargill, who owns Nutrena also owns Purina. I was on Nutrena for three weeks and my five birds went from giving me 5 eggs per day to only 2 or 3. But we also had a bit of a cold snap and integrated 10 more birds. So, was it the food? I don't know for sure. I now have them on a feed that is not related to Dumor, Nutrena or Purina. But I don't know for sure. My layers just started laying in Oct 2022, but have consistently layed 5 each day. I don't have alot of experience.
You did not "thoroughly " research. Cargill does not own Purina, not in the USA. Purina is owned by the Land O Lakes Cooperative.

If you research it thoroughly, you will find that Cargill, who owns Nutrena also owns Purina.
It's more complicated than that, because "Purina" got split up and bought by (or merged with) several other companies.

I think this list is accurate at the present time:

Land O Lakes owns Purina livestock feeds in the USA
Nestle owns the Purina pet foods
Cargill owns the Purina brand internationally.

You are correct. They seem to own just about everything.
Purina, Nutrena, DuMor and many others.
Almost seems like a monopoly doesn’t it?

https://www.cargill.com/animal-nutrition/brands

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/dumor

You are correct. They seem to own just about everything.
Purina, Nutrena, DuMor and many others.
Almost seems like a monopoly doesn’t it?

https://www.cargill.com/animal-nutrition/brands

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/dumor

But Cargill does not sell Purina products in the USA.
The evidence is right there on the site you just linked.

Follow the link to the Cargill page.
Then find the Purina link on that page, and follow it.
They have a dropdown list of countries, which does not include the USA.
And they have small text near the bottom of the page, saying "PURINA® and the Checkerboard logo are licensed trademarks of Société des Produits Nestlé. Available outside the U.S. only."

But Cargill does not sell Purina products in the USA.
The evidence is right there on the site you just linked.

Follow the link to the Cargill page.
Then find the Purina link on that page, and follow it.
They have a dropdown list of countries, which does not include the USA.
And they have small text near the bottom of the page, saying "PURINA® and the Checkerboard logo are licensed trademarks of Société des Produits Nestlé. Available outside the U.S. only."
No argument that they say that. But I still don’t trust them.

No argument that they say that. But I still don’t trust them.

Whether you want to trust them or not, I think you should give a consistent LEVEL of trust to what they say on their site.

Their site says they own Purina.
Their site says, not Purina in the USA.

So either we should trust them on both points, or on neither point. Not just one of the two points.

Back
Top Bottom