Feed consumption down.

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
It has been really cold (like most of the country) in the single digits at night and teens during the day here for about a week now. Normally feed consumption increases in cold weather but my hens have cut way back on what they are consuming. This is the coldest it has been here in about 5 years or so. Is the cold weather affecting consumption?
I offer laying pellets and now with the cold offer scratch and a little dry cat food. They normally devour the scratch and cat food but really are not eating what I think they should. Normally the scratch feeder would be empty and the cat food I throw around the coop would be gone.
Any thoughts or suggestions from the experts out there?

Last edited:
They are all fluffed up, which how they trap body heat within their feathers. The coop is as air tight as possible (there are two vents at the top to vent out moisture which is a must).

Ours seem to go into a low activity rate/conserve heat mode. They'll eat grapes and peaches (along with some leftover minced fatty beef/corn/mealworms) if they get it in the morning or at least two hours before sunset, but they are not enthusiastic and are consuming about half of the usual crumble ration.

Cold stress, decreased activity level and shorter days? Not sure.

We are trying to fatten them up further and battening down the hatches (will be putting up the heat lamps for the second time in five years) as it looks like wind chills along the KC-STL axis this thurs-sat. could run from -20°-35°F (hope the models are screwy as usual).

Ivan3, I hear ya, I pulled my heat lamp out of the cabinet yesterday for the first time in at least 5 years. I was actually surprised it still works.
I live in the STL area and have seen the forecast for later in the week. Not pleasant at all.
I guess I'm just like my Italian grandmother I just like to see my "children" eat.

Ours are consuming way less since the temp fell to the single digits and wind chills in the negatives. We were going through two feeders twice daily and they are lucky to go through one in a day now. I have no idea what is going on and worry about them since this is the first winter with them. I have had a heater in the coop since last weekend and the water has not frozen, however, they still are not eating. I'd love to see if anyone has an idea of what might be going on as scratch seems to be the only thing they go after.

Bill

Bill,
I hear ya, mine just are not consuming much. It's been about 10 or 11 years since it's been this cold here for this long and no real end in sight. I did give them some bread last night and they did go after it as usual.
Since it's been so cold I did go ahead and close my vents but I am worried about the moisture build up now!!!! I also put a 250 watt light in there and that seems to help keep the temp up somewhat. The water only has a thin layer of ice on it in the morning better then the solid block I found before the light. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What to do what to do.
Wake me when spring gets here.

Back
Top Bottom