Feed for Laying Hens

otdrzman

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
I have 1 tom and 2 Narragansett hens. One of the hens has started to lay. She is 11 months old and the other hen is 9 months old. The gobbler is 11 months old as well. I have been feeding them Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein. My question is should I change them to some sort of other feed since one of them is starting to lay? Southern States offers a Super Breeder feed that has me interested. Also, I'm not sure if the gobbler should eat the same feed as the laying hens that contains the oyster shell. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I feel all my flock (chickens, turkeys, and guineas) the Southern States meat maker pellets and then put the oyster shell and grit on the side.That is what is out all day, but in the AM when it isn't freezing out I like to give them fermented feed made from Southern States game bird starter and grains mixed to 18-20% protein. I did buy Flight Developer pellets instead one time because they were out of the meat ones and those are okay as well though more expensive. I won't buy the super breeder because of the high calcium and its easier to me to just have one feed for everyone.

ETA I get unmedicated and I don't know if all locations offer those as pellets since Southern States only lists them as crumble on their website.

Last edited:
Also, I'm not sure if the gobbler should eat the same feed as the laying hens that contains the oyster shell.
My mistake. The Super Breeder doesn't contain oyster shell. I meant is it ok for the gobbler to eat the Super Breeder feed and the oyster shell that is left out for the hens? I am obviously new to this and appreciate any input.
I feel all my flock (chickens, turkeys, and guineas) the Southern States meat maker pellets and then put the oyster shell and grit on the side.
I read up on the meat maker. Looks like good stuff. I am picking some up tomorrow. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom