Feed for mixed flock?

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
If I have pullets that are laying and non laying pullets and roosters how do I feel them all once integrated? All grower feed with oyster shells on the side? Anything special for the Roos?

Yes. That's what many of us feed our mixed flocks on a permanent basis. I feed Purina Flock Raiser as it's the only brand I can get here in this remote, third world pocket of the US where I live.

I ferment the feed for extra nutrition. I also feed it to new chicks in lieu of chick starter as the two are practically identical in nutrient content .

I soon will be mixing 4 week olds with my laying hens. Want to switch everyone over to a grower feed (still offer oyster shells). Anything I need to know about switching the laying girls over from the laying pellets to the grower?

I soon will be mixing 4 week olds with my laying hens. Want to switch everyone over to a grower feed (still offer oyster shells). Anything I need to know about switching the laying girls over from the laying pellets to the grower?
Just that the girls will be thrilled with the taste. My layers much preferred all flock feed to their layer ration. There was no adjustment period at all.

eh.... I would be worried that 4 week Olds might get hurt... sounds still a bit small....

Otherwise...... you can really pick any feed that is lower in calcium and put oyster shell on the side.

If you have a number of chicks or chickens molting, or it is a super cold winter ... try to find a feed that is close to 20% protein. For the off season 16% is fine, but you don't want lower than that.

Usually that means you want:
all flock
all poultry feed

eh.... I would be worried that 4 week Olds might get hurt... sounds still a bit small....

Otherwise...... you can really pick any feed that is lower in calcium and put oyster shell on the side.

If you have a number of chicks or chickens molting, or it is a super cold winter ... try to find a feed that is close to 20% protein. For the off season 16% is fine, but you don't want lower than that.

Usually that means you want:
all flock
all poultry feed

They will have their own areas they can escape to and be safe from the older girls. I'm trying the method below. I will have to keep that in mind in the winter, it does get very cold here and not many eggs when the days are real short anyways.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

What about pulling the chicks off the medicated feed when I integrate and go to non medicated grower? Is 6 weeks of medicated feed enough? They'll have been outside and exposed to everything for 2-3 wks by then.

Back
Top Bottom