Feed for mixed flock

I have read that each chicken only needs 1/4 pound of food per day, others say they allow free access to feed all day. I think I feed more than that to my chickens but I would be afraid to give free access....am I misunderstanding something? And how does a quarter pound translate to cups?

Ok I see that is 3/4 cups a day...I feed wet feed so I'm guessing it would be about the same.

I free feed so I don't actually know how much (in lbs) my flock goes through a day. If I wanted to give a specific amount for whatever reason, I would weigh the exact feed I'm using, as different feeds are going to vary a bit as far as volume to weight.

For wet feed, remember that the dry weight is what matters, if you're weighing it out. It'll obviously get heavier as it absorbs water, but that's all water weight.

Yes I hadn't thought of that...thank you! I guess I could try free access, it's something to think about. I do feed morning and evening and I have started composting in the run which provides some nutrition I have read ......and gives them something to do. They seem to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom