Feed for older, non-laying hens

kat2

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Our hens have stopped laying - is it okay to continue feeding them their layer feed, since they like it? Or do we need to change to a different type of feed? Thanks in advance.

The bottom line is that a bird not laying eggs is not a layer - therefor they shouldn't eat layer feed.
A female chicken is not a layer just because she is an adult female. She becomes a layer when she produces eggs.
The primary difference in layer and all other feeds is 4% calcium as opposed to 1% calcium.
No bird not producing egg shells should be eating 4% calcium.
Aged hens also benefit from higher vitamin and mineral content since they don't uptake nutrients as well as young birds.

Last edited:
Our hens have stopped laying - is it okay to continue feeding them their layer feed, since they like it?
Hi there. :frow

How much older is "older"? Most hens will pause laying every winter after their first and resume again in spring.

I personally never feed any of my birds "layer" as 16% protein isn't what I consider ideal but just minimal in addition to the excess calcium mentioned by others, which I think is the real concern if you want to extend their life as long as possible with minimal complications. I prefer something with higher amino acid content... usually a "starter. grower, or flock raiser". I provide oyster shell on the side for active layers or those that may need more on the side free choice.

Yes, because there is no other real realistic option. Roosters eat the laying hen feed and are ok.
It's true that many roosters eat layer feed and they seem okay and even may be... but it isn't ideal. Most folks will never necropsy a rooster to see what happened and will blame his death on heart attack or the like. The *possible* issues of gout or even death will occur most likely in birds that are somehow genetically predisposed to it and also kept confined with no other forage or feed sources. I am NOT a fear monger on subjects like this... but it can and does happen.. :hmm

There IS lots of other real realistic options... sold at places like tractor supply or your local feed store if you are in the US. Even Walmart sells "starter/grower!"

For me roosters have usually had a fair amount of time, energy, and funds getting to where I may be in my breeding stock selection. I keep far less roosters than I do hens so value the few that have made it this far differently than some folks will. So I do what's most ideal for MY whole flock, with the information and resources I have at the time, switching it up if I learn something new and am able. It's hard to find something perfect. Most folks "layer" flocks would do better (looks, condition, more nutrient content in eggs, faster molt recovery, etc) with a little more protein than standard "layer's". My ONLY point here is there are other options for many folks. :)

I have 7 hens, 2 are 46 months old, and 5 are 18 months old.
One of the older hens retired from laying last June. She is a Red Sex-link, they can burn out earlier than most.
I have been feeding a Non-medicated Starter Grower 18% or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser crumble 20% with Oyster Shells separately. 20181214_095753.jpg
Only 3 of 6 layers have resumed laying since molting.
I purchase whichever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC. 20190227_112014.jpg . GC

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Our hens will be 4 yrs old this spring - we'll see if they start laying again. It sounds like we should move to a whole flock feed or else a grower/finisher feed. Does this sound right?

4 years isn't old for most heritage or mixed breed hens although the hybrids may be starting to burn out by that age. All hens will slow down by 3 years of age but most hens I have had will lay thru the spring even at 6 and over. I had an Australorp that laid a dozen eggs thru the spring when she was 11 years old. And a rooster that helped produce chicks when he was 9 years old.

The point is, don't give up on your chickens just because the 'experts' say they are too old. :)

Back
Top Bottom