Feed for rooster in free range flock

The only disadvantage is that all flock feeds tend to cost more, as they tend to have more protein which is a more expensive ingredient. But, I actually think hens do better with the high protein feeds -- that's what I give my flock.
Same here...at the advice of folks on this forum I started mine on a high protein "all flock" feed with oyster/eggshell on the side. My birds are slick and pretty and seem to be thriving. They free range most days, so they get extra goodie from the bugs and other critters they eat from the yard.

Mine just started laying a few weeks back and their shells are hard as a brick so I must have found the right combination.

I found that free range flocks dont touch oyster shell. I mix a 20% protein layer with a 20% protein all flock.
Thanks for saying that ... I free range for as much of the year as is practical... More when we have leaf cover less during winter but I noticed they hardly touch the oyster shell , but used to moreso before I began to free range and I didn't understand why.

Thanks for saying that ... I free range for as much of the year as is practical... More when we have leaf cover less during winter but I noticed they hardly touch the oyster shell , but used to moreso before I began to free range and I didn't understand why.
If the eggs they lay have good shells, then they are getting enough calcium from somewhere. They might be finding sources while ranging, and not needing the oyster shell as much.

Does anyone have research or proof of this? Ive never had a rooster show any signs of illness.
Roosters produce hormones that self-regulate calcium. This is done through the hormones calcitonin and PTH which will raise and lower levels of active Vitamin D.

If there is a drop in calcium, PTH is released to create Vitamin D to increase calcium uptake. If there is too much calcium, it will release calcitonin which renders Vitamin D inactive and restricts calcium uptake.

PTH and calcitonin production seem to be related to sexual maturation of cockerels at ~ 24 weeks of age. So dietary calcium levels are of more importance in young cockerels as they cannot self-regulate.

Back
Top Bottom