Feed for rooster in free range flock

chickybirds

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2022
Hi! I just got a rooster to add to my free range flock. All of my hens are laying and on layer feed. As far as treats go, I give them mealworms/soldier flies several times a week.

I’m wondering if it is best to switch to an all flock when adding the rooster or if layer will still be okay for him since they are able to free range all day?

Opinions vary on this.

I personally feed an all flock and offer oyster shell on the side. I also re-feed crushed egg shell.

Others feed a layer feed to their entire flock.

Extra calcium can eventually cause issues with your roo. Amount, duration, and the roo himself will determine how rapid or severe it is.

If you’re feeding your flock, he’s going to eat from it. I wouldnt expect him to get all his feed from ranging. His intake of feed vs ranging food are impossible to predict.

Honestly, it’s a bit of a crapshoot. I know that’s not a decisive answer, but hopefully it gives you things to think on so you can come to a good answer for your birds.

Opinions vary on this.

I personally feed an all flock and offer oyster shell on the side. I also re-feed crushed egg shell.

Others feed a layer feed to their entire flock.

Extra calcium can eventually cause issues with your roo. Amount, duration, and the roo himself will determine how rapid or severe it is.

If you’re feeding your flock, he’s going to eat from it. I wouldnt expect him to get all his feed from ranging. His intake of feed vs ranging food are impossible to predict.

Honestly, it’s a bit of a crapshoot. I know that’s not a decisive answer, but hopefully it gives you things to think on so you can come to a good answer for your birds.
Thank you! It does seem like a crapshoot. Are there any disadvantages to all flock for the hens, as long as they have oyster shell available?

Does anyone have research or proof of this? Ive never had a rooster show any signs of illness.
I don’t know that I’ve seen any studies that have deliberately caused calcium toxicity in adult roosters.

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/poisonings/poisonings-in-poultry

Above does mention excess calcium intake before egg production, which would be the same for a chick or a rooster (which never reaches egg production).

I guess I can’t say I’ve seen a lot of decisive research on the subject.

Thank you! It does seem like a crapshoot. Are there any disadvantages to all flock for the hens, as long as they have oyster shell available?
The only disadvantage is that all flock feeds tend to cost more, as they tend to have more protein which is a more expensive ingredient. But, I actually think hens do better with the high protein feeds -- that's what I give my flock.

The only disadvantage is that all flock feeds tend to cost more, as they tend to have more protein which is a more expensive ingredient. But, I actually think hens do better with the high protein feeds -- that's what I give my flock.
Same here...at the advice of folks on this forum I started mine on a high protein "all flock" feed with oyster/eggshell on the side. My birds are slick and pretty and seem to be thriving. They free range most days, so they get extra goodie from the bugs and other critters they eat from the yard.

Mine just started laying a few weeks back and their shells are hard as a brick so I must have found the right combination.

Back
Top Bottom