Feed Formulas

JJMR794

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
BROOKSVILLE FL
OK SO THERE'S A FEW FOLKS WHO EITHER CANT GET DESIRED FEED IN THEIR AREA EITHER COMMERCIALLY OR ARE LOOKING FOR CUSTOM RECIPES.... SO LETS ALL SHARE ANY CUSTOM RECIPES HERE. I'LL REQUEST WE DONT TURN THIS STRING INTO A DEBATE ON MEDICATED VS NON MEDICATED, OR MAINTENANCE VS STARTER, ETC... LETS SIMPLY USE THIS FOR A RECIPE PAGE AND THE READER CAN CHOOSE TO USE WHATEVER THEY FEEL IS HELPFUL TO THEM. WE CAN HAVE OUR LIL CRUSADES ON OTHER STRINGS
gig.gif

Here's A Starter Recipe I Have Should Produce 2000 Lb Of Gamebird Starter In The 28-30% Protien Range...

900 Lb Of Corn
725 Lb Soybean Meal
210 Lb Of Whole Oats (uncrimped)
80 Lbs Of Poultry Nutri Balancer (commercial Electrolyte Powder)
60 Lbs Of Ruminant Bone Meal
25 Lbs Of 60% Fish Meal

Now I Make No Claims To Accuracy Here But According To The Recipe Its Supposed To Be Complete Including All Electrolytes And Full B12 Allotment And Digestable Protien To Gamebirds With The Proper Fiber Ratios???

Quote:
Hi JJ!
Aside from a ton of chickens, I have only a handful of button quail now. I intend to have a few more, once eggs set start hatching. So, an amount like this is WAY too much. I've been feeding my adult button's a mix of vita finch, purina game bird chow, + sprouted millet, teft, oats, and wheat and quinoa as a treat. They also get baby mealworms and pill bugs and cockraoches when I find them. Plus, they have the run of a planted dirt floor cockatiel aviary that's about 8X10 with lots of little palms, seed sproutlings and liriope grass to hide in.
I was planning on using Purina game bird starter for the chicks, spun a few times in the blender.
I'm new to the quail thing an am so happy I'm on BYC for advice.
One lady told me to buy Mazuri gamebird only. Jeez, it's expensive..
What's your advice/

I copied and printed out a recipe from another forum but before I discovered what works best here for me but the other formula involved hunters kibble and millet it was for really small quantiles and a few other things as well

Quote:
Hi JJ!
Aside from a ton of chickens, I have only a handful of button quail now. I intend to have a few more, once eggs set start hatching. So, an amount like this is WAY too much. I've been feeding my adult button's a mix of vita finch, purina game bird chow, + sprouted millet, teft, oats, and wheat and quinoa as a treat. They also get baby mealworms and pill bugs and cockraoches when I find them. Plus, they have the run of a planted dirt floor cockatiel aviary that's about 8X10 with lots of little palms, seed sproutlings and liriope grass to hide in.
I was planning on using Purina game bird starter for the chicks, spun a few times in the blender.
I'm new to the quail thing an am so happy I'm on BYC for advice.
One lady told me to buy Mazuri gamebird only. Jeez, it's expensive..
What's your advice/

#1 FOR BUTTON SPECIFIC INFO ASK QUAILLADY OR SHELLEY... WHILE I HAVE DONE "PIGMY'S" THEY WERE SIMPLY FOR PET STUFF AND MY EXPOSURE IS LIMITED, I CAN ANSWER MANY BASIC QUESTIONS BUT NOT IN DEPTH
hu.gif

#2 MAZURI IS PURINA, MUCH LIKE A AVALANCHE BY CHEVY IS A CADILAC ESCALADE... SAME FOLKS DIFFERENT NAME HIGHER PRICE TAG--- IF YOU LOOK INTO IT FAR ENOUGH YOU'LL SEE THAT MAZURI IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY PMI... AS IN "PURINA MILLS INC"
hmm.png
THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THE PURINA BRANDS ARE MANUFACTURED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY WHERE AS THE MAZURI BRAND IS ONLY MADE IN ST LOUIS AT MISSION CONTROL AND SHIPPED ALL OVER (GUESS THEY DONT WANT TO SEND THE RIGHT BAGS TO ALL THE MILLS???)

IN MY EXPERIENCE LATE JUVENILE AND ADULTS IN BUTTONS CAN AND WILL EAT STANDARD PURINA CRUMBLE SIZE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS, BUT YES THE LIL FUZZIES NEED IT GROUND FINER

PERSONALLY I AM NOT A FAN OF PLAYING MAD SCIENTIST FIXING DINER FOR BIRDS... I SIMPLY HAVE TOO MANY TO SPEND MORE TIME ON EACH INDIVIDUAL SPECES MAKING THEIR DINNER THAN I DO ON MINE.. WHICH WHEN I AM BACHELOR MODE 1/2 THE WEEK, GETS DUMPED OUT OF A CAN AND NUKED FOR 2 MINUTES APPROX 80% OF THE TIME
tongue.png
THE REMAINING 20% IS LEFT OVERS FROM WHERE I HAD THE KIDS AND DID ACTUALLY COOK...

ASIDE FROM MY PERSON TIME CONSTRAINTS I DO NOTE THAT IT IS EASY TO SPOIL THE LIL BOOGERS AND ALSO CAUSE A MALNUTRITION BY IN EFFECT CAUSING A PROTIEN DEFICIENCY OR STARVE OUT, THEY ARE HIGH PERFORMANCE MACHINES AND THEIR FUEL IS PROTIEN. YOU DONT WANT TO DUMP DIESEL FUEL IN YOUR HIGH TECH SUPER DUPER LAMBOURGHINI--- BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN! SAME CAN BE TRUE TO AN EXTENT WITH MANY GAMEBIRD SPECES, SO JUST KEEP IN MIND VOLUMES AND USEFUL VS GARBAGE CONTENTS OF WHAT YOU OFFER THEM... THE GIRLS ARE PIGMY GURU'S AND CAN BETTER ADVISE YOU ON SPECIFICS THAN I CAN

As Far As Size Of Batches Its Possible To Simply Shrink Them Down In Correct Proportion To Make Smaller Batches At Home If Your Into The Whole Mad Scientist Routine Or Just Cant Use 1000-2000 Lb Batches Of The Stuff. Personally I Get Feed Custom Milled Locally In Very Large Volume To Feed All The Hungry Mouths I Have Around Here, Between Chicken Feed And Gbs I Am Well Over 2500lbs A Month. By Using My Local Mill I Get It At A Fraction Of The Cost Of 50lb Bags For The Same Stuff At My Local Feed Stores, This Keeps My Bottom Line As Low As Possible In My Business Model While Still Providing Optimum Nutrition For My Stock (labor Force) Most Mills Require A Minimum Order, Once Upon A Time I Couldnt Do This Becasue I Couldnt Use That Much Feed In A Reasonable Amount Of Time To Prevent It From Going Bad-- If Your In This Position Its Time To Start Looking For Feed Buddies--- Folks To Split Orders With, This Allows You To Get Minimum Order From Mills And All Involved Save Money On The Deal. I Have A Byc User Or 2 That Piggy Back In On Top Of My Orders Periodically... It Helps Them Out And Doesnt Hurt Me Or The Mill So Its A Win-win Situation.

Granted Bulk Feed Saves Money But It Also Posesses The Power Of Making Logistics Difficult, My Feed Comes In 55 Gal Plastic Barrels With Screw On Lids.... Ever Try To Move 400lb Barrels With No Mechanized Equipment? Lemme Tell Ya... It Sux! But Can Be And Does Get Done Monthly Here At A Great Savings Financially (costs A Bit Physically Tho
smile.png
)

I think the recipe I have is from Resolution and I found it at Dan Covalls old site

It looks like the recipe is from Paul Johnsgaard
Pheasants of the World

so it may not be much use to quail folks

Last edited:
For button quail: Purina Gamebird starter is the way to go. Be careful with Manna Pro...they like to add a bit too much salt (it used to be the other way around...) I add finch seed when the buttons mature. Also adding oyster shell at day one is key too
smile.png

Quote:
Yup...that's exactly how I cook up a ton of game bird starter in my basement.
big_smile.png

You forgot meal worms and cat food!

Back
Top Bottom