Feed going bad?

Pics
I don’t want to feed them that because I think it’s bad but bc their layers what can I give them that has calsium I don’t have any oyster shells or calcium pills. I’m gonna make them some oatmeal and rice, hopefully it’ll help
Clean and low-heat shells (long enough to eliminate bacteria) and crush egg shells to provide calcium. Hard boil the eggs and chop them up for protein. This will get them through until you can provide a really good amendment to their diet.

That would be about 24°C and I would not consider this "cool."
Just to add my 2 cents, I do not buy feed that I cannot use up in less then 6 weeks, usually less then a month and check the tag on it at purchase time. I know that makes a trip to farm store, but never have had feed go bad and live in rainly Pacific Northwest.

I bought this bag around the middle of March and I was about to go feed my chickens and I saw this is it going bad ? Can they still eat it ? I have noticed that it was smelled a little different and it was kind mushy but I just saw this
I keep my food bag in a Metal garbage can stored in a covered carport. I have never had an issue with dampness. I live in WA State and it is damp outside a lot. Us a bungie cord over the lid so Raccoons and other varmints cannot get into the can.

I also live in florida and yes a metal trash can (TSC sells them too) under cover is all you need to prevent moldy feed (and this is moldy feed). Always empty your feed bags into the metal can. Sometimes the bags themselves retain too much moisture, especially around each "sewn" end since it's just paper and can wick up the humidity from the air. I had mold and squirrel/rodent issues from the plastic containers. Metal ones breathe better.

Think of the can as an investment. That moldy feed will kill birds and birds themselves are very valuable. More valuable than the can. You will also prevent feed from going bad, saving money there too.

I store mine in metal cans. Keeps it dry and the part that is outside in metal cans doesn't let other critters get in. I do have to watch that the bottom doesn't rust eventually and get holes, which can lead to wet spots. Before I fill the outdoor bins, it is in bags in the garage near a freezer.

I would but it gets super hot outside and that'll make it go bad faster and when I feed them I fill up the feeder and I leave it there until it's empty and I fill it up again and i don't put too much bc whenever I do it always rains but i don't have to fill it for like 3 days but now i have to make their food until i can go to tsc which idk when but ill ask
I got a heavy rubber dish at tsc that, upside down, fits perfectly over my feeder to keep rain out. Works great.

If your laundry room has your dryer -- I wouldn't recommend it.
I use 5 gal containers with lids -- I can fit 1 40# bag into 2 with a little left over.... The lids will keep the grain out of harms way, but you need to still consider excess humidity where they are.

I found that not buying more than I need for a week was the best way to not have so much on hand that it's a storage problem.

Good you were paying attention to the grain being abnormal. If it's moldy, fermented, don't feed it to them. They WILL eat it!

I'm thinking of starting Courtinix Quail in our production line, 17 day incubation, 8 wks to start laying, & in 10 wks they're full grown so it doesn't take too long to get too many eggs. Chickens need calcium & protein & blended up hard boiled quail eggs seems a healthy supplement to their diet. Our chickens are free range & will eat anything & everything.

Back
Top Bottom