Feed hen and roo

The easiest way is to feed an all flock/ flock raiser with oyster shell on the side, if you ever hatch chicks you don't have to switch feed, and it will not harm your rooster, everyone can eat the same thing
I am a fan of this method.
I agree with the general idea, but can chicks really eat whole pellet feed?
No, but you can crush/grind pellets to make them more suited for chicks.

I’ve read the calcium bit before. People will tell you they’ve fed their roo the layer feed with no bad results. How do they know? Unless they have a dead roo necropsied to find out cause of death they assume it was natural and don’t consider the feed to be a problem. To each their own, I don’t use layer feed.

I feed my flock an all flock pellet because it’s universally ok for all ages, and supplement with oyster shell for the layers.

My chicks couldn’t eat the pellets because they are too big, just like the small wild birds don’t raid the feeder because the pellets are too big. It takes a couple of minutes to make crumble from pellets for chicks in the blender. Realistically they only need it that way for a short period of time so I didn’t find it to be a hassle.

Another stupid question, requiring an intelligent answer. :)
Love love love the all flock feed .. had not ever heard of it! BUT, it is 20% protein and most opinions I have read say over 16-17% protein is damaging for layers .... serious liver damage I think I remember??? Is this true?

Love love love the all flock feed .. had not ever heard of it! BUT, it is 20% protein and most opinions I have read say over 16-17% protein is damaging for layers .... serious liver damage I think I remember??? Is this true?
I have not heard that. I would seriously question the statement.

I'm not sure where you read that, but I think it's the opposite, I think higher protein is actually better. I have been feeding my ladies (I have a mix of ages from 26 months down to 5 weeks, that includes 2 little cockerels) since I got them, and they are healthy and happy ladies. It is actually recommended that when they are younger to feed a higher protein, that's why most chick starters are 18-20% protein. The higher protein also helps when they molt.

My girls have been getting 18% feed from the beginning and are quite happy and healthy. You are getting BS. 16% is minimum, not optimal protein for health. Just like how the human recommended daily iodine or vitamin D intake are orders of magnitude too low for optimal health.

My girls have been getting 18% feed from the beginning and are quite happy and healthy. You are getting BS. 16% is minimum, not optimal protein for health. Just like how the human recommended daily iodine or vitamin D intake are orders of magnitude too low for optimal health.
Thank you! Experience is so much better than words on paper!

Now we are finding that 3 days on pellets is causing eating problems? Don't know if it due to hard pellets or taste? When mix old crumbles with pellets they will peck out the tiny crumbles and leave pellets... they are eating "some" pellets .. but not nearly enough. When I go to the pen they all run excitedly to me like when they are hungry and need feed.... not like when they are looking me over to see if I brought a treat! Haha.
Will they eventually eat these pellets? Like when they say. WHEN THEY GET HUNGRY THEY WILL EAT!

I feed 20% Purina Flockraiser crumble to hens and roosters pre-laying and just about to lay. I'll continue after laying for as long as I can find that feed. Took the recommendation of several folks on here that have done tons more research than I have for brand and protein content. Wish they had it in pellet form.

Everything with 16-18% is cheaper. I was reading about one person who fed their hens 22% (I think) while raising them, and got large/extra large eggs out of those chickens, while the flock she raised on 18% (I think) only laid medium/large eggs. What you do for those first 17 weeks influences their egg size and output and general health.

Why doesn't everyone feed the higher protein feed? Money? Because they expect their chickens to eat plenty of bugs while free ranging? I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom