Feed inside coop or not??

I use a PVC gravity feeder fixed to the wall inside there coop and a 3Gallon bucket with chicken nipples outside for water. I let them out of there coop in the morning and they usually go straight to the waterer. They don't seem to mind having to be let out to get water cause that's all they have known. I plan on moving the water to the inside of there coop during winter months. There coop is only 4x8don't don't have rodent problems. The gravity feeder is awesome and a space saver.

I also agree that if the water is out side or underneath the coop it is cleaner. Having learned this the hard way. I am building a new coop and will be able to hang my water and feed underneath the coop, before I put a shelter over the run the feed and the run would get wet when it rained. It makes for an awful smelly mess. We had a farm supply place going out of business and so they had this roofing/floor material that you paint on so that is on the floor of my coop so it will help protect it when and if I need to hose it down. My girls also get to free range all day so that helps a lot. I have a space planned for brooders and I think I will keep some water and food in their area.

Mine is kept in the secured run. Just make sure the food is positioned to avoid wet weather. I had to add a wall after realizing the blowing rain was getting in their food. Expect some trial and error in set up, even when you're sure you thought of it all!

I feed inside the coop. We made the feeder with wood and it holds 100lbs of feed. The water stays outside until winter. In the winter inside the coop I put a plastic tray under the waterer to keep from spilling or I have mold issues. The waterer takes up a bit of space.

Last edited:
I don't really have a structured "coop", mine is more of a lean-to open air setting, so my food and water are kinda in both places at one time
wink.png
. Ultimately everyones chicken coops/runs are different, and everyones tastes are different, so it's completely up to you and your set up. Whatever works best for you. I don't really think there is a right or wrong on this one.

Last edited:
We have a coop in an enclosed run. PVC feeder under the coop, nipple waterer under the coop and the birds can come and go as they please.

Less mess inside, suspended feed and water means no rodent issues (so far)

Yeah, my coop is only a 6'x6'... and their run is secure... so it really makes more sense to have my main feeder and waterer outside of the coop.

My big hanging feeder and waterer are out in the run, but I also keep a small hanging feeder in the coop so as to provide an alternative place to feed for anyone getting picked off of the main one.

During the summer, my run is not covered... so, I do have to bring the feeder in during inclement weather. But in that case, the indoor feeder is still available for everyone.

I also only put a couple of pounds at a time in the big feeder during the summer. Really just enough to fill the tray for a day or two. That way, if we get caught by a surprise shower overnight... they can finish that food before it gets moldy, and I am not having to throw out an entire can in the event I have to throw any out at all. I also believe that there is less food exposed to the higher humidity in the summer, so I don't really worry too much about food getting moldy.

I cover my run with a clear tarp in the winter...

So... the only thing I need to do is bring the waterer in at night if temps dip below freezing for more than a couple of hours. And because the run is covered, and the air is much dryer, I go ahead and load up the feed can with several days worth of food.

Because the feeders are hanging, I don't have any trouble with rodents even with living right next to the woods. I haven't even had a lot of trouble with squirrels or wild birds raiding the feed can.

We cover our run also. My coop is a big 12x5 room inside the garage. We like the space of the run during the winter. The ground has never frozen inside the coop, which they take dust baths all winter long! We ended up putting a roof on our run, so the snow wouldn't ruin the top wire, which we ended up cutting out.

Inside in winter Outside in summer as they graze my yard and garden they don't eat alot in summer As it turns to fall I put the feed in the coop to encourage them to sleep in it During the summer they prefer to be out in the aviary on roosts and swings

Back
Top Bottom