Thank
I'm in N FL (West - the Panhandle) We have two local feed mills. Harrell Milling (whom I use) and Tucker Milling (whom I have used). If you favor non-GMO and.or organic, you will have to go Tucker, they have some products in those lines. If price is your primary concern, I've been very happy with HMC.

If you are in N FL (between JAX and T'hassee) we looked at property in that area but decided not to buy, I didn't research the local feed mills. Sorry.

Also, welcome (back) to BYC @FridayGirl72
Thank you!! Went from 4 hens to 8 hens and a rooster since I last posted. 😁 I looked up both of those. Trying to find an organic all flock pellet. I've spent hours scouring the web. Any advice?

Thank

Thank you!! Went from 4 hens to 8 hens and a rooster since I last posted. 😁 I looked up both of those. Trying to find an organic all flock pellet. I've spent hours scouring the web. Any advice?
Yes. I advise that you aren't likely to find it. You didn't search wrong, there just aren't many to be found. Its very hard to get the protein levels associated with an "all flock" and the higher Met/Lys levels needed for growing birds while restricting yourself to organic ingredients.

When I had buyers willing to pay the premium, I used Tucker's Nature Crest non-GMO Starter/Grower as an "all flock" type feed. At the time, I paid about $17/50#, no idea as to current pricing, likely closer to $20/50#.

For those who can afford it, Kalmbach's 20% Organic is popular here on BYC. Pricing on that is like $25/35# if you can find it local, and closer to $$40/35# if you have it shipped from Chewy, etc.

Hope that helps!

Central States has a feed mill in Lake City, Florida. Google says its a “boot store.”

There’s a mill in Live Oak for Pilgrim’s Pride that I don’t think is open to the public. Its just for their own private meat farms.

I’m going to run into Lake City today to trade some chickens. I’ll run by and confirm whether CS still mill their feed there or not

Yes. I advise that you aren't likely to find it. You didn't search wrong, there just aren't many to be found. Its very hard to get the protein levels associated with an "all flock" and the higher Met/Lys levels needed for growing birds while restricting yourself to organic ingredients.

When I had buyers willing to pay the premium, I used Tucker's Nature Crest non-GMO Starter/Grower as an "all flock" type feed. At the time, I paid about $17/50#, no idea as to current pricing, likely closer to $20/50#.

For those who can afford it, Kalmbach's 20% Organic is popular here on BYC. Pricing on that is like $25/35# if you can find it local, and closer to $$40/35# if you have it shipped from Chewy, etc.

Hope that helps!
Thank you! I have looked at Kalmbach. Wanted to add that my birds are all full grown and the only reason I'm looking for all flock is because I have a rooster. I don't want him eating layer feed and I can put out calcium. Would 20% be appropriate for laying hens? I haven't looked into protein levels at all.

I am actually sort of familiar with that one. I used to feed central states to my horses. 😁
Central States has a feed mill in Lake City, Florida. Google says its a “boot store.”

There’s a mill in Live Oak for Pilgrim’s Pride that I don’t think is open to the public. Its just for their own private meat farms.

I’m going to run into Lake City today to trade some chickens. I’ll run by and confirm whether CS still mill their feed there or not

Thank you! I have looked at Kalmbach. Wanted to add that my birds are all full grown and the only reason I'm looking for all flock is because I have a rooster. I don't want him eating layer feed and I can put out calcium. Would 20% be appropriate for laying hens? I haven't looked into protein levels at all.
Yes. I feed my own flock 20%.* The only downdside is cost. Upside is larger eggs, more frequent eggs, better hen disease resistance, more nutritious eggs, faster, less stessful molts, better feed efficiency. So why do the commercial producers use 16% protein, or AA supplimented 14% protein feeds??? Because the typical difference between a balanced 16% protein feed and a balanced 20% protein feed is about 1-3% on each of those measures. That translates as a chicken laying 306 eggs instead of 300 in a season, each averaging about 1g (1/450th of a lb or a bit more than 1/30th of an ounce). The cost increase (10-15% typically) far exceed the several % gains.

For those of us who keep our birds longer, like them to look better than the typical facotry bird (or have "dual purpose" birds, whose needs may be higher), or who raise chicks (whose needs are higher than a production hen for almost everything except calcium), I think the extra few dollars a year is more than worth it for the typical small backyard flock.

*sort of. I have a more complicated feed regimen specific to my circumstances which I do not recommend for others.

24E7A492-02C8-4E2D-B801-336F35C2A6DD.jpeg
552E6E0F-AFF6-4341-968F-E6F64702E56D.jpeg

They changed their name, but they still mill most of their feed there per the clerk I asked. Lake City, Florida.

Back
Top Bottom