Feed oh so many feeds

Packy

Songster
Aug 23, 2023
North Carolina
Very new I read and watch YouTube, and see some think mass produced feed are not good? Then I read and see about making your own feed so what's a newbie to do? I start my coop build this week and weekend, soon we will have some grown chickens laying eggs, and want to be ready for the girls.

Very new I read and watch YouTube, and see some think mass produced feed are not good? Then I read and see about making your own feed so what's a newbie to do? I start my coop build this week and weekend, soon we will have some grown chickens laying eggs, and want to be ready for the girls.
Stick with a factory feed unless you have money and time to burn away and/or have a serious allergy that prevents you from handling most feeds

Stick with a factory feed unless you have money and time to burn away and/or have a serious allergy that prevents you from handling most feeds
And are prepared to do a LOT of research into chicken nutrition. While it is well studied and documented, the information can be hard to find.

Nutrition is very important when the birds are chicks. There are nutrients that must be present to allow the chicks to develop correctly.

YouTube and social media is full of misinformation, especially on chickens for some reason.
Store feed is perfectly fine and safe, the people who say it isn't, usually have something to gain by you believing them.
Making your own feed is possible, though it will require buying/storing things in bulk and will cost anywhere from $6 to $9 a pound.

Back
Top Bottom