Feed preferance?

PamMahtin

Hatching
Mar 15, 2024
Our small flock of 6 hens seem to be very picky. We where using Showflock layer pellets and then switched to Kalembach when my daught started to work at a feed store. When she quit we went back to Showflock. However, I noticed with the Kalembach they do not toss it all out of the feeder, but with the Showflock it is all over the place to where we need to fill it almost every 3 days as apposed to about 2 weeks with Kalembach. They are both layer pellets with nothing else mixed in with it. My question I'd are they just be bougie or is there really a diffence that they don't like?

Is the Showflock feed fresh or relatively fresh?

They might just not like it very much for one reason or another. I tried getting my birds on a grower pellet for several months and they were throwing so much around I gave in and put them back on the layer pellets they were eating before.

Funny you me time Kalmbach. We initially used Purina starter feed…currently have chicks. My husband found a feed store a town over who sells Kalmbach which we heard was very good so he bought a bag. He said it had much less dust in the bag and it was cheaper. The chicks took to it and do not seem to be throwing it around as much.

So. WHICH Show Flock were you using, and what Kambach are you using?

We can do a comparison on the published nutrition numbers pretty easily, but need to know what products to compare.

Tucker Milling Show Flock Layer 17
Tucker Milling Show Flock Layer 22
Somebody else's "Show Flock"?
Pick a Kalmbach

I've used Tucker (not their show layer, their Nature Crest 18 Starter) It was all right, but more than I would pay personally. Fed by the request of my egg buyers, who were willing to pay anon-GMO premium.

Kalmbach is popular here on BYC with a subset of our posters. Its a good feed generally with few problems (those typical of other whole grain feeds), most easily compensated for. Price and freshness are the most common limiting factors

Apart from that, I would encourage you to go into your profile and add your location with whatever specificity you feel comfortable sharing. Some answers are regional in nature, and we get posters from all over the world.

I'm assuming you are from the south east, based on your mention of Show Flock. As far as I know, TMC is the only mill doing business under that brand name, and they are local to a few southern states. Florida, Alabama, Georgia primarily, with a few dealers in the Carolinas. Further you get from the mill, less fresh (and more expensive) its likely to be.

(note at left, I am "North Florida Panhandle", thus my familiarity with Tucker Milling - I can almost spit on AL from my property, GA is a hop, skip, and a jump.)

My husband picked up chick medicated starter feed., 50lbs. They were out of the organic variety but was going to be getting it in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom