feed prices

I haven't seen any chicken scratch in Walmart, but when visiting my daughter over in Middle TN, there were some 40# bags of whole corn for $5. If my car weren't already loaded down, about 200 pounds would have come home with me. I've got an old Corona mill and I'm not afraid to use it.

Beginning of the month, got cracked corn at Tractor Supply for around $9, and layer pellets from Southern States for $13.50.

fyi, when I was at the SS dock picking up my pellets, there were several busted bags of various feed that had been taped up or re-bagged. 25% off normal price. I'm going to check back there first before I buy the next bag.

a #50 pound sack of 16% layer crumbles is $9.81 in Petaluma at Hunt & Behrens. At the local feed store, I pay $15 for a premium Nutrena #50 pound sack of crumbles. After reading some of the previous posts, glad to see I'm paying a fair price.

I just picked up 50 lbs or organic chick starter for $12.24 in Idaho Falls.. They also have grower, scratch, layer crumbles and layer pellets.. all about the same price and non GMO!!

OK, don't laugh but I buy a locally grown, organic, soy free layer mash for $29.99 per 50 lbs. I do get 10% off for every $100 I spend. Organic scratch is about $3.99 per 10lbs.
money1.gif
Thank goodness we only have 5 girls to feed!

I want soy free as its so ubiquitous in so much we buy at the grocery store and too much can cause issues as it mimics the hormone estrogen. Using fish meal also raises the Omega 3 in the eggs by about threefold and since I hate eating fish this helps me get my Omega 3 naturally.

We pay 15.50 for 50lbs. of egg booster pellets or krumble and 12.15 for scratch 50lbs.Am trying the chili powder in the food and it's WORKING!!!!!

Am new at this chicken thing am I doing this ok.? I give the a big scoop of scratch everyday and they always have fresh water and egg booster at all times. I also feed them 3 times a week a big watermelon or can of corn or some kind of treat. I have 23 7 -8 mo. old chicks and am getting 10 12 eggs a day.

Quote:
Me too. We obviously shop at the same store and use the same product.
thumbsup.gif

Check Concentrates on SE 8th in Portland. They have:

Buxton's 4-Grain 16% (Local, Much OG, No GMO, No Soy) 50# 25.00 (Buxton's is a small grain mill in North Plains)
Cascade Org 3 grain scratch (local) 50# 19.00

You won't be able to get Cascade feeds from Concentrates unless you live outside of Portland (it's not on the price list; you have to inquire). The price is the same as the Urban Farm Store though.

Back
Top Bottom