Feed question—5percent increase in protein

IMO, that's a little high for 14 week old birds. You can still use it and at this age you can just start giving them some scratch grains (and grit) to lower the overall protein %.
4 parts scratch to 11 parts of the new feed will give you 19% crude protein. That would be my target.
3 parts to 12 parts will net 20%.
5 parts to 10 parts will be 18%.

IMO, that's a little high for 14 week old birds. You can still use it and at this age you can just start giving them some scratch grains (and grit) to lower the overall protein %.
4 parts scratch to 11 parts of the new feed will give you 19% crude protein. That would be my target.
3 parts to 12 parts will net 20%.
5 parts to 10 parts will be 18%.
Wouldn't mixing with scratch dilute the vitamin/mineral profile?

I may let them forage more while on this feed and will maybe just buy all flock next time. They have access to grit 24/7. I was surprised it was so high when I got home. You don’t have an opportunity to look at the feed before you buy it.
What makes me nervous is they went from Nutrena to some mill down the road. I kind of trust the big company more

Wouldn't mixing with scratch dilute the vitamin/mineral profile?
Good catch. Yes it would but at those ratios, I don't think it would be critical.
I look at vitamin and mineral levels in all the feeds I have available and am sometimes startled at what I find. I sometimes see as much as a 40% difference in fat soluble vitamins between manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom