Feed Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sweetshoplady, Nov 16, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I know there is a section on this but these are really for meaty birds. I get really confused by the 1" per bird, 2" per bird. 1" of what kind of container? What does that really mean? I read that turkeys need 1 pound of feed a day once they get big. and hen turkeys need like 3/4 pound per bird. I have the book that came in. Is that correct?

I wasn't watering my plants enough til I found out that 1" - 2"= 5 gallons for a square yard. So I really need some help here.

My birds free range and so I know that supplements them, however, there are those who will not be free ranging (pheasants and some meat birds who are getting close to processing.) (quail)

OK, if I am using a mason jar and am feeding say, 3-5 roosters destined for the table. Should I fill that up and then refill it when empty and will that give them enough feed? Can you overfeed dual purpose breeds?

Is there a big difference between gamebird grower/broiler and gamebird maintenance/breeder. I have been giving breeder to the ones who are "breeding stock" and "grower" to the ones I plan on eating in the near future, or when they are eating size. Is that right?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The grower/broiler food has different stuff in it to make them get big. The breeder feed has vitamins and such that they need to be really healthy for the health of the chicks. I'm not sure how it is supposed to be done, but we just have one of those 5# feeders (I believe that's how big it is) and keep it full.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    No, you can't overfeed dual purpose fowl. Free choice feeding 24/7 delivers the best results.

In my experience "meat crosses" do their best with free choice feeding all day long and just water at night. That overnight restriction has cut mortality rates.

Grower to table destined birds is one of the best choices.

When discussing turkeys. What breed? Heritage strains? Meat crosses? There is such a wide spread in the overall final size and growth of different turkeys one size fits all doesn't really work. Beltsville whites up against Slates is a very good example of this.

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I have (or will have very soon) Rio Grande Wild turkeys and Narragansett crosses. The Rio Grandes are still in their eggs, I hope they'll all be out in a couple weeks. The Narragansett crosses will be here Tuesday. (3 month olds)

Great, thanks so very much. I have a couple cockerels - RIRs I think, who I'm still free ranging, just feeding them separately in the morning and evening. But then I have a couple Delaware roos who will not be getting that opportunity. One lost a good part of his vision from a bout with avian pox (he's practically blind). The other guy came through ok. One still seems to be getting over it. It really stunted his growth as well. So the kindest thing seemed to be to leave them penned up and keep the food and water easy to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by