Feed question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bex1983, May 25, 2019.

1. bex1983

bex1983 Chirping

May 7, 2019
    Hi, my question is 2 fold...

1. My ducklings (whom I want for egg laying) will be 2 weeks old in 4 days. Does anyone have any suggestions on what a good feed (preferably organic or at least non gmo) would be to purchase and switch them to (16% protein)? I live in Michigan

2. I have another few ducks hatching in 2 weeks, I have been feeding my current ducks Manna Pro Duck Starter/Grower, but it has 22% protein...is that too high for the first two weeks? I assumed it was fine since it is a specific duck starter (which I wanted to not have to add niacin while I figured this duck raising stuff out lol) but all the posts I see or books I read it say 20% protein is what should be given to ducklings.

chicken heven likes this.
  2. chicken heven

chicken heven Songster

Mar 5, 2018
    My Coop
    Get Parina chick smarter and on the back it has a chart for what to feed them at there ages.
    :D

3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I just add oats (oatmeal), to the starter/grower to reduce the protein. It is what is suggested in Storey’s Guide to Ducks. I haven’t had any trouble with angle wing.

DucksOhio and DuckyDonna like this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

And then face leg problem for every duckling in the batch... as it is deficient in niacin for ducks. :hmm
    That should be fine to continue feeding.

I used the Purina flock raiser which has 20% protein and 55mg/kg niacin as required by most ducks... It isn't on the guaranteed analysis tag but I contacted the company to find out. Pekin and giant Pekin may require 70 mg/kg niacin. I never switched from the flock raiser or faced any issues... but it isn't organic. I provide oyster shell on the side for layers.

The following link provides accurate nutritional requirement information...
    https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=24047276

People suggestion to use oats to reduce protein to avoid angel wing is misguided and according to research angel wing is fairly misunderstood... most likely genetic AND can be caused by excess of energy (calories) from ANY source... not just protein.

DuckyDonna, quackiemama and bex1983 like this.
  5. bex1983

bex1983 Chirping

May 7, 2019
    Thanks. I was hoping to not have to do that because I worry about getting ratios correct...

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.
  6. bex1983

bex1983 Chirping

May 7, 2019
  7. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I have fed mine before Nutrena nature wise chick crumble 18% protein until just before laying. The niacin content is good in it for ducks. I had no case of angel wing from it. They protein got cut by giving them greens, and other veggies as well. Nutrena also makes an organic feed I believe called smart blend or something like that. With similar niacin content.

Melodychick, bex1983 and DuckyDonna like this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I hear ya! :he

Please note... that says MINIMUM feeding requirements which means don't go below those levels. ;)

If I was going to reduce protein any... it would be at 3 weeks old, according to that chart and how I read it and understand it.

So you contacted the company and they verified niacin content? Or you just didn't have any issues? I don't see the niacin content listed in the guaranteed analysis... same as most tags... it isn't required by law to be on there... though I KNOW it has some.. just not the actual level.

I can't really believe they call it chick starter with 18% protein. I feel bad for chicks being raised by peeps who don't know any better.

bex1983 likes this.
  9. Melodychick

Melodychick Songster

Jun 27, 2017
    South Mississippi
    Before I got my ducklings, I contacted Nutrena, and this was their reply

From Nutrena-
    Thank you for your inquiry and for visiting our website. It is best to start your ducklings on NON MEDICATED NatureWise Chick Starter. Continue the starter feed for the first 7 weeks and then you can switch over to All Flock 18% (Country Feeds or NatureWise). All of our poultry feeds have Niacin. The NatureWise Chick Starter has 185 mg/kg. The All Flock is 125 mg/kg. The NatureWise Meatbird is 81 mg/kg. The niacin requirement for ducks per NRC is 55 mg/kg. Additional supplementation is not required but no harm if you want to add some brewers yeast. Brewer’s yeast is a very good B vitamin source as well.

10. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I did contact the company and get the info. Which 186 mg/kg if my memory is serving right for all nature wise products . The others are at 179 I think I can’t find my email from them at this moment, but it was close to that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: