feed question

newjchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Hi, my girls are at the 17-week mark now and have been getting the Dumor grower/finisher feed since about 10 weeks. I have quite a bit left in the big feed bag, but starting next week they should be getting the layer mix. Is it okay to just finish the bag and when it's done start the layer mix, or should I just give away the rest of my grower/finisher mix & start the next stage?

Also, the feed bag says that you don't need to supplement w/ oyster shells...the feed provides all the necessary nutrients for egg-laying...is that true, or should I give the oyster shells anyway. Any feedback would be very welcome! Thank you!

Finish the bag - you're just throwing money away otherwise. That is just a guideline from a manufacturer who wants you to buy more of their feed... and you'd be some sort of warrior princess to get your pullets to start laying right now. They don't need calcium until they lay. You can actually finish the bag of grower and supplement with oyster shells until it's finished, as the only major difference in feeds is calcium level.

I don't feed oyster shell and my eggs are fine. Given an average layer feed and supplemented as most backyard chickens are with house scraps, your hens will get plenty of calcium. For me it's a cost-saving measure not to give it because it's not required.

You'll also find that your shells are much harder than store bought eggs. How much thicker do they need to get, really?
wink.png

Quote:
You can also mix the new feed in with the old, that way they will get gradually used to the new product. 'Just something I heard, my chicks aren't there yet, but it seemed like a reasonable approach to me. No need to throw out all that feed.

I mix mine I do about 2 scoops of layer to one scoop of finisher and mix it together. I think it helps the girls to keep weight on even when the boys are chasing them around and harassing them. The extra calories haven't seemed to hurt them at least lol.

Back
Top Bottom