Feed Question

sandymart

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
New York
I'm new to raising my girls (got mine last Friday) and want to know how much feed they should be going through. I ordered 10 girls, they sent 9 and one died, so I am left with 8 VERY active girls.

Also, is it too soon for them to start a pecking order??? I see one very dominant Astrolorp in the bunch.

I can't say exactly how much you should be going through but for one thing, are you using a feeder that they can't get in and scratch it out? You'll waste less this way.

As for the pecking order, I think they probably start that from the beginning.

Pecking order starts within a couple days of hatch. They should have free choice feed at all times. My chicks usually eat about a quart of food a day the first week and it goes up from there. They need to eat alot to be strong. They grow super quick - you will be surprised how fast they grow. Make sure you keep their feeders filled with chick starter crumbles. They will eat constantly for several weeks now before slowing down. You can supplement them with plain yogurt - sprinkle some crumbles over it so they learn it is food.

Enjoy your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom