Feed Question

Kim95037

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2012
Morgan Hill California
So I know the little ones shouldnt eat the layer feed until they start laying. Im wondering if they could eat an organic feed as long as it didnt have any oyster shell or calcium in it. Its kind of a pain having to lock everyone out of the main coop when I let everyone out, I dont want the little ones going in there and eating the layer feed for the older girls, so I was thinking about switching everyone over to a nice organic feed for the time being until they get to their laying age. Is is just calcium in a layer feed that is harmful to the chicks?

I believe chick feed has higher protein and some things that they need to grow up strong and healthy. It is not just about the unnecessary calcium. Personally, I keep young ones in a large dog kennel (about 9x6) with a small coop in it until they start laying so it is zero hassle to feed two different foods.

Yeah thats what I thought. The little ones are separated from the big ones anyway inside the coop theres a gate that I can close to separate them. I will just continue to close the coop door that has the feed for the older hens after I let everybody out to free range until the little ones are old enough to eat the other kind of feed.
Penelope on the other hand is in solitary (chicken time out) for eating my bantam eggs.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders.

Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

I have calcium available at all times for the layers in the form of oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders.

Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

I have calcium available at all times for the layers in the form of oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

X2 - Such a simpler approach to feeding and it also accounts for other times when laying feed is inappropriate - such as when you have hens not laying due to molting, age, etc.

Back
Top Bottom