1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed questions and basic bragging

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WindcrestChickens, May 19, 2008.

1. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    O.k. so I feel SOOO incredibly "capable" right now. Friends can't believe we moved to a farm, and are astounded that I have chickens now....This weekend I cleaned out the coop in the barn, emptied everything out, cleaned, washed, set up the new stuff etc. Then I got the girls the hell out of the living room (that dust is GROSS). They are in their "big girl beds" and loving life. They are 5 weeks old and huge. I just feel like I know what I am doing, and it feels good.

My husband bought a bag of adult layer feed not realzing I had been feeding them Poulins chick starter. Is it o.k. to give them this or will I cause huge harm (sad sarcastically and realizing I sound like a new mom wondering whether I can supplement breastmilk with just a tiny bit of formula so I could sleep a little bit at night????)

[​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would save that bag for a few weeks and continue to give them starter. I mix pellets with starter when they are about 8 weeks to wean them for the starter.

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I agree with above poster. Your chicks need the starter feed. The other feed will keep. They need starter til right before they start laying, around 18 weeks you can switch.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yup, you definately want to keep them on starter...or starter/finisher untill they are about 18 weeks. Layer feed has way too much calcium and can cause damage to them. Short term...if thats all you have, a day or two wont hurt.
    Congrats on getting them outside! I am sure you ALL will be happier! LOL

5. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone - yes they are sooo much happier. ..and so am I...

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    keep that sack of feed till they are 16 weeks on then start them on layer feed.an keep them on starter/grower feed till 16 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by