Feed questions for young geese: how much and when to use adult food

NanaKat

Enabler
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Meeker, Ok 20+chicken years
At what age do you switch from "baby" food to adult mix?
I am feeding Ranch Pro 28 % protein game chick feed (which includes mallard ducks as the waterfowl on the label). The "adult version drops to 18% protein. At what age do you begin the switch?

How much of the crumble food should a 3.5 month old goose eat in a day?
I have been providing free choice to Ninya and Charlotte 4 cups of the Ranch Pro 28%. I set it out for them in the evening when they are penned up. They finish what is left during the day. They graze the rest of the time or I provide them with clipped grass and veggies. I am still adding Brewer's Yeast and a little chick grit to their bowl of dry feed. Charlotte lets me know if the bowl is empty.

Since Ranch Pro is the only feed I have been able to find in our area for waterfowl, does anyone have a recipe for home mixed feed for juveniles geese?
I can buy 50# bags and mix it myself or locate a grainery that will mix it for me

Charlotte and Ninya thank you for your advice in advance.

Last edited:
They look so beautiful! It's like magic considering the state they were in when you got them.

Usually you switch to adult feed when they're fully feathered. You may want to switch gradually over a week or so in order not to upset their digestive system.

Seems kind of high in protein to me but I am new to geese. I have 5 that are about 2-3 months old and I have cut them down to about 16% protein. They were on 20%. For ducks, the starter is really high, I only feed ducklings 20% for a few weeks and then between 16-18% protein.

The amount of feed they will need depends on how much grazing they do. The more grazing, the less feed. I offer about 2 large scoops (horse feed scoops) of feed, scratch and oats to all of my birds in the late morning. Thats it though.

You can cut the protein with oats, wheat, etc.

Last edited:
Nana, I start my goslings on 20%, then cut it to 18% at 3 weeks, then 16% by 6 weeks. For my dewlaps, I use mazuri maintenance (16%). For my africans, I use a 50/50 mix of flockraiser (20%) and rolled oats (12%).

Thank you everyone.

Since Charlotte and Ninya are older than everyone's example ages, looks like we need to make the transition beginning now.
I had purchased a sack of the 18 % and have now mixed 1/2 of it with 1/2 of the 28 % to begin lowering the protein level and transitioning the girls. Will get some rolled oats and wheat to begin mixing some into their daily ration and gauge the progression to 16 % over the next 4 weeks.

Wish we had a local source for the Flock Raiser or the Mazuri. I'll check with my cattle feed distributor to see if they can order some.

28% is too high for geese or ducks, either one. If that is the only crumble you can get, the ducklings and goslings should not have it past week 3. Unless the 18% is a pellet that the babies can't swallow, I'd use that right from the start.

I give my growing geese as much as they want to eat. Once they are adults, they get 1/2 pound of feed for each goose, daily, divided into 2 feedings. Since 1/2 pound of different types of feed have different feed value, you must adjust your feeding to the condition of your geese.

Geese will pack fat into their body cavity and all around their intestines until all their insides are clogged with fat. So it is very bad for their health to keep them fat. There will be a lot more fat on a goose than you can feel through the feathers. Don't feed high calorie foods like cracked corn to geese.

NanaKat...First let me say - WOW they look SO good!

As to the feed, you have gotten some solid advice from some very knowledgeable folks so far. If you can't get them anything like flock raiser -15%, then you can cut the 18% with grains. I can't get anything other than 17% or layer in pellets, which are better for adult geese (all the flock raiser is now crumbles around here).
Wheat seems to be cheap right now where I am, so I use that, oats, black oil sunflower seeds, and millet. I mix the grains together and measure out the feed each morning: One scoop of pellets to one scoop of the grain mixture. Celtic uses a grain mixture that I believe is posted on her website, and Dave Holderread has several mixes listed in his book for making your own rations.

Keep up the good work!

28% is too high for geese or ducks, either one. If that is the only crumble you can get, the ducklings and goslings should not have it past week 3. Unless the 18% is a pellet that the babies can't swallow, I'd use that right from the start.

I give my growing geese as much as they want to eat. Once they are adults, they get 1/2 pound of feed for each goose, daily, divided into 2 feedings. Since 1/2 pound of different types of feed have different feed value, you must adjust your feeding to the condition of your geese.

Geese will pack fat into their body cavity and all around their intestines until all their insides are clogged with fat. So it is very bad for their health to keep them fat. There will be a lot more fat on a goose than you can feel through the feathers. Don't feed high calorie foods like cracked corn to geese.

NanaKat...First let me say - WOW they look SO good!

As to the feed, you have gotten some solid advice from some very knowledgeable folks so far. If you can't get them anything like flock raiser -15%, then you can cut the 18% with grains. I can't get anything other than 17% or layer in pellets, which are better for adult geese (all the flock raiser is now crumbles around here).
Wheat seems to be cheap right now where I am, so I use that, oats, black oil sunflower seeds, and millet. I mix the grains together and measure out the feed each morning: One scoop of pellets to one scoop of the grain mixture. Celtic uses a grain mixture that I believe is posted on her website, and Dave Holderread has several mixes listed in his book for making your own rations.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you Oregon Blue.
I have been feeding a mixture of the 28% crumble and the 18 % crumble increasing the 18 % each day to transition without digestive upset. Then was able to get a bag of the rolled oats and a bag of black oil sunflower seed. My feed store didn't have feed wheat yet. I've been adding a little of each to the mix the past few days and keeping track...hoping to get the % down to 15 % by the end of next week.
I have a scale in the barn and can measure out into a bucket.

Thanks MrsMagoo...you have kept up with Charlotte and Ninya's whole growth process from malnurishced little 8 week old rescues to their current state. My first experience with geese has been a true learning experience and these two are really special to me. Want nothing but the best for them. I have that book and will jump ahead to the recipe section.

Back
Top Bottom