Feed questions

You don't have to be sorry. You can't know until you know. This site is a great educational asset for newbies.
Hopefully that isn't the mill date. It is probably the date the label was designed.
Sometimes the date is on the guaranteed analysis tag but it can also be printed on the seal strip at either the top or bottom of the bag. It isn't always easy to find and the store manager should be able to find it for you. Some manufacturers will use the Julian date rather than the date format we normally see.
If they use the Julian date, it may be preceded by other numbers. The Julian date will be between 1 and 365. This time of year, somewhere between 1 and 50. If it is below 365, it is from last year.
Here is what I think the date is stamped cause it's the only thing that is printed on bag. but you cannot make it out at all. Theres nothing else on this bag..

husband will be stopping on way home from work to get some starter.. guess we are gonna try to return it now least that's what my husband called and told me...
Have him pick up a bag of Oyster Shells too. For two pullets a 5 lb bag should last awhile.
I put out a separate container of Oyster Shells after 16 weeks of age.
I just bought a bag of Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% for my 6 hens. 1 1/2 to 4 years old.
I haven't bought a Layer feed in two years. 20200323_061616_resized.jpg . For 3 silkies and a Barred Rock, I would get a 25 lb bag or smaller.
A Non-Medicated Starter or All-Flock with 18/20% is what I buy, depending on what's available when I'm at the store. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom