Feed running out... Ordered more but....

Splinty

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
New York
Hi!! I need help with this question. I'm new to chicks and they are 3 weeks old. When I bought them from Chickensforbackyards.com they recommended Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter (5lbs) so I got it for my babies. They told me that the bag would last 5 weeks. Well as you know they are 3 weeks old and I'm almost out of food. I ordered more from Amazon and it shipped on 6/30. They are telling me that it will be delivered between 7/7 & 7/12. I only have enough food left for maybe 2 days. The feed stores near me don't sell it and the only reason I was keeping them on the medicated food is because the bag says to feed it to them till they are 8 weeks old. My feed store only sells non-medicated in 50# bags. I only have 3 chicks and the lady at the store told me to put them on grower food at 6 weeks. I don't know if I should go get the grower food, feed them that till the medicated comes in and if I do that will it upset their stomachs? I'm also not sure if I should start mixing the 2 foods together to ween them off the started onto the grower like I did with my dogs and cats. Can someone please help me? I don't want to harm my chicks in any way.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I don't think the chicks will ever notice the difference, and it won't hurt them to switch to non-medicated feed. I run out from time to time, and have been known to grind up gamebird feed to feed to the chicks until I can get to town, and have never had any problems.

They will eat anything, even styrofome coolers
big_smile.png
I don't think changing there diet will hurt them one bit, its in their nature to be scavengers, they will adjust to anything you feed them, or they feel like eaing.

GO to your local feed store and buy a bag of whatever starter they have it will not hurt them or mess their stomachs up. Since you only have 3 you will have to get you a storage container of some sort to keep the food dry and fresh.

I found a problem with the feed in a bowl. When I started using a chick feeder with a covering that just let their heads in they stopped wasting so much of it and the second bag lasted until they were pretty much grown.

Back
Top Bottom