1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feed saver bucket style feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by killervex, Oct 11, 2015.

1. killervex

killervex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok so my wife and i have had chickens for a couple of months now and after seeing how much feed was lost with the store bought feeders we knew something had to be done.

I have researched online and read dozens of articles on byc about making pvc feeders. I thought many of them were ingenious and contemplated trying out a few.

My decision to make a bucket style feeder was this based on these reasons-

Cheap - total cost was just under $17

Efficient - i have sat and watched our chickens go at this bucket for 30 minutes straight, i did not see a single piece of feed hit the ground.

Easy - total build time was 5-10 minutes.

Ok so here we go, you will need the following materials:

5 gallon bucket with lid (the blue ones from lowes are only about $5)

3" pvc street elbow x4 (i chose street over 90 degree because it looked more ergonomic lol, these were about $3 each)

That's it!

Simple construction:

Cut about 1" off the bottom of the elbows.

Drill 4 holes evenly spaced in your bucket to fit the pvc through (i centered these holes so that the bottom of the elbow (inside the bucket) was roughly 1 1/2 from the bottom of the bucket)

Shove your pvc through the holes, fill, pop the lid on and you're done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any questions or comments feel free to reply. Thanks for looking!

P.S. i plan to build a larger version from a 55gal drum.. Will post some pics when i get around to building it. May be useful for a larger flock.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. zanin

zanin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    Westport,MA
    Awesome idea! I am definitely making these!

3. killervex

killervex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks. Try it out and let me know how it goes. im sure you'll be happy with the feed bill savings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by