Feed Store Chick Buying Guide

well now i know what to look out for….. thanks again!!!!!
big_smile.png

well now i know what to look out for….. thanks again!!!!! :D

i have gotten a few bantams for a few yeas now, from what i remember, all had pasty but. :hit

I had one with it and I used a soft wet rag or paper towel, warm water, and wiped it off or Q tip if that didn't work. I know some people have (very gently!!!) Cleared the hole open again with a toothpick. It was also recommended to me to put a dab of olive oil or coconut oil on their butts to prevent anything from sticking again. A commonly accepted reason for pasty butt is that the brooder is too warm. I also highly recommend the Mama Heating Pad method. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

It's great :)

yes I've heard a lot of good things about the mama heating pad. (totally different subject) thankfully none of my bantams died, and pasty butt was successfully removed. though i did have to wipe VERY carefully!!!
big_smile.png

For pasty butt I use cotton balls dipped in warm water and swipe them gently over the chick's bums a few times, that dislodges any poop pretty well. :)

yes I've heard a lot of good things about the mama heating pad. (totally different subject) thankfully none of my bantams died, and pasty butt was successfully removed. though i did have to wipe VERY carefully!!! :D  

Yup, definitely is a different subject, sorry about that haha, I just figured it was a teeny tiny bit related cause i find it helps pasty butt/like to promote it at any chance :p and aww that's good!! My one I had the HP on 6 inside the house so it got too warm and I had one get pasty butt/also a tiny bit weak, cleaned it off, next day came back way worse and was very weak and died later :( but i may have worsened it cause I dug around a bit with a toothpick (sounds horrendous but barely went inside), to get the back up poop inside out but i don't think that did her in, she was already really weak and of course the HP broke right when I needed it to work and she died alone while we bought a new one :( i felt bad but sometimes that just happens. She was 6 days old. But after that i turned the pad down and never had any other issues

Back
Top Bottom